question about SB-900 controls SB-600 question also

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have a D60 and a SB 600 and I know you can't fire the 600 wireless. So I went and got the hot shoe connector and played around with that for a week. I really don't like the cables and they are annoying because I have to constantly move around. Now I was thinking about getting another SB 600 because I need one to create a more even flash for my projects. Since I can't fire either via wireless what are my solutions? If I got a SB 900 instead I still cant fire them via wireless unless the 900 is attached to my camera. Is the only solution getting a SU-800 and another SB-600 in order to fire both 600 wireless? What I basically want is 2 flashes to fire wireless.

thanks

I dont think I will be able to fire both flashes simultaneously. Also, it says it wont work with high level flashes, what do they mean by that?

I dont think I will be able to fire both flashes simultaneously. Also, it says it wont work with high level flashes, what do they mean by that?

Yes you will. You need a receiver per flash (this is explained on the Strobist website. The triggers won't work with high voltage flashes (flashes with trigger voltage higher than 12V). Check your manual, but I believe th SB900 has a lower trigger voltage than 12V.

if I wanted to use the sb 600 in a softbox would that interfere with the receiver?

any chance you know where they sell the catcus set in NYC? I checked B&H and adorama websites but they dont seem to carry it.

What if you had a SB-900 on camera and set the SB-600 to be triggered by the SB-900's flash? You would need one on the camera, but at least you could trigger the 2nd flash. Or does the SB-600 not do this?

There are MANY ways to trigger the SB-600 off camera. The SB-600 used to be my wireless workhorse before I got a spare SB-80DX.

To use the SB-600 as a manual wireless, you need a HOTSHOE adapter. Go to flashzebra.com and check it out. Then just use a sync connector to attach it to your reciever of choice. Low end I prefer the Cactus V2s because it is cheap and EASY to modify to get 350+ foot distances. High end... Pocket Wizards... nothing more need be said.

Don't forget CLS, and yes it does trigger through my Apollo softbox at up to 20-25 feet away. I even made a bracket to place 2 SB-600s in either of my 28 or 50 inch Apollo softboxes and love the smooth results.

The Jerry Blog!: Double Trouble - Twin SB-600 bracket

As for the triggers, I got them once from Hong Kong directly (gadgetinfinity.com) and the same ones from MPEX.com in Ohio. Not NY, but close enough.

What if you had a SB-900 on camera and set the SB-600 to be triggered by the SB-900's flash? You would need one on the camera, but at least you could trigger the 2nd flash. Or does the SB-600 not do this?

The SB-600 cannot be a commander, the SB-900 could, but it is pretty expensive. I *believe*the on camera flash can be a commander on his D60. His manual will be able to confirm this.

I thought CLS doesnt work on the D60 for the SB 600 and 900....

If it does, that would basically solve all my problems. I was thinking about getting a D90 just to use the CLS for my 600. Since everyone said catus was the way, I think im going to stick with that.

Most reactions

Back