question about the photos i took

kevlar22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody
This is my first post and I hope to further my interests in photography in this forum. Unfortunately I do not have a really good camera and am currently saving up for a better one, however I had to use a regular Fujifilm digital camera for the assignment. My assignment was to shoot 2 photographs, 1 in the style of Robert Frank and 1 in the style of the New Photography 2009 Exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC. The thing is, I took two pictures but I don't really know how to interpret them and the implicit meanings behind them.
I know they're really blurry because I took these photographs at random (as my teacher suggested) and this is what I got.

DSCF0475.jpg

Bennysthing.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
Please post the picture and no a link. You will get more c&c.

I didn't know who Robert Frank was, so I googled him...

robert frank photography - Google Images
Robert Frank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also have no idea what the work being shown at the New Photography 2009 Exhibition looks like...

Assuming that the Robert Frank I found is the same one you're talking about - neither of these look remotely like his work.

So, that being said - at least one of these photos is no good for the assignment. Not sure if they are in the style of the work being shown at the exhibition though....

i mean isnt modern art subjective to artistic license?
Honestly I don't understand modern art (partially because I know I'm ignorant and modern art is not my forte)

If your assignment was to shoot a picture in the style of Robert Frank, it should at least resemble something he's shot...

I mean - more than just being black & white...

LOL

Saying modern art is subjective to artistic license is ridiculous. If I had to go and take pictures like Ghionis I couldn't just go take a random picture and say, well, they are both art, because I subjectively look at them and decide they are.

Well, you can do that, but I doubt it would help your grade. Teachers hear that sort of thing all the time, my MA was in counseling which is very subjective... but there are certain points that the different theorists believe. If I am answering a question for a CBT therapist the same way I answered it for a Gestalt therapist I would almost definitely get it wrong (with a couple of exceptions).

Things that are subjective still have guidelines.

Most reactions

Back