question on flash triggers

deathdealer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so how do you set flash compensation with a flash trigger and strobes? i tried to take a picture on a black background and the weirdest thing happened subject was great but black backdrop was white?!?

How you set flash compensation entirely depends on which triggers you are using. Give us a clue and we might be able to help! ;)

If the black background you are using is reflective in any way and the angle of the light hitting the background is such that it's reflected back into the camera then that's what you'll get in the picture - 'white' light.

Flash compensation is a value that you set your flash (power), away from it's metered value. So when you have a compatible flash unit on your camera, and it's using some sort of automatic metering (TTL)...you can set FEC to give you more or less light that it thinks you need.

If you are using studio strobes, you probably aren't metering via the camera....so there is no FEC. In most cases, the power has to be set manually...so the closest thing to FEC, is just turning the power up or down on the strobe.

I think your issue may be with subject and strobe placement more than anything else. Have an example photo?

You don't normally apply flash compensation when using strobes since that sort of work is generally done in manual. Simply adjust your strobe output.

so flash comp has nothing to do with my background turning white?

so flash comp has nothing to do with my background turning white?
More details needed.....

What type of lights were you using? What settings were on the camera?

Most reactions

Back