Question to all

Boltthrower

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm goin back to Cali Cali I'm goin back to Cali
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a bit of an issue that I would like to ask everyone.

My GF's work is permanently transferring her to Sacramento in May
she said that she wants me to go with her
But my problem is I have my family and my friends down here in so cal. so part of me is having 2nd thoughts about the situation. and i'm just really really confused

on another note
providing that everything goes as planned
is there anyone on the board that lives up there?
if so what areas should be avoided living in.
Because
1) I don't really feel like having to wear Kevlar to go get the mail
2) I do not wish to have my vehicle "moved" without my permission in the middle of the night to be found the next morning with out the windows and sitting on blocks.

I have no idea of distance, travel times, or anything as I'm English.

But moving with her isn't a big deal if you love her. You'll always know where your family is and you can always visit on a regular basis and get a cheap holiday out of it. You get to move on with your life and have something special. If you try the long distance thing and it fails you'll always wonder and regret certain aspects.

I guess it comes down to a question. What's more important, her love or staying near friends?

Where's your sense of adventure. You're just getting wet feet.

Think of it as a fresh start. The two of your are going to have this amazing challenge to work at together. Think of all the new friends you'll meet. The new things you'll learn about another city. The new job you will get.

At the end of it all if it doesn't work out, you'll always have friends and family to come home too. Right?

I basically live by the quote that I first heard here.

"You always regret the risks you didn't take" or something like that. I think I paraphrased but whatever.

Bace is right on! Go, experience life, your friends and family will always be there for you no matter where you live. Follow your heart, leave the head alone for this one. ;)

As someone who's 39 and feels he's played things much too safe, I say give it a try. You can always move back if this don't work out. If you don't go, you've chosen for it not to work. I have plenty of experience with that latter bit. It sucks.

As for what parts of the city to avoid, I recommend going to the City-Data Forum and reading what others have said about Sac.

Good luck on your decision and whatever outcome you choose.

I think that giving up the comfort zone that you have is way too much to ask if you're not committed for life.

Is Sacramento really that bad compared to So. Calif?
I was born/raised in the San Francisco Bay Area... went to college/puttered around in So. Cal for 8 years... and have lived about 30 miles east of Sacramento for 5 years (in Folsom).

Without question, this is a wonderful place to live. Even if the prices were equivalent (they're not)... I wouldn't move back to either S.F. or So. Cal if you paid me.

My 2 cents.

Also... you can whip on I-5 and be down to L.A. in around 6 hours.

Jim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back