Question.

Mystic.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but if it's not then by all means move it to the appropriate forum.

Anyway. I'm going to the zoo in a few weeks time and obviously I'm planning on taking pictures. But what I want to know is how to take a picture of an animal without the bars being in the way? I was told I need to zoom in with the optical zoom in order to achieve this but as the times comes closer to going I'm begining to have doubts that maybe it takes more than zooming in. I see plenty of pictures where people seem to have eliminated the bars and in doing so, it's got me very curious.

So if you could help me out here I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

A zoom lens would probably work... if you have a P&S, just use your optical zoom like you said, I can't see any other way it would work.

it will depend on which lens your using, but you can place the lens hood right up against the bars and focusing on the animals with the correct fstop to control DOF, you can "remove the bars"

That's right, get the lens right up to the cage and shoot through the spaces. Even if some is in the way, it will be so far out of focus that you won't see it. Also use a tele setting on the lens, as wide angle will show the cage unless your lens is through a hole.

A wide aperture helps as well. At f/2.8 and larger a cage may become completely invisible but affect the contrast of the image slightly.

Thanks for the suggestions

Most reactions

Back