Questions regarding a couple second hand lenses?

mwcfarms

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.deannachambers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So Im in Saskatchewan at my friends go into her little local mom and pop store and guess what they have consignment lenses. Now Im not sure if these would be overlapping the range i have now or any of them are even a good deal so i thought I would ask you guys. Three that I looked at one was Nikkor 28- 70mm another was 35- I forget i think 105 or something. Another was a 135 prime and another was a Tamron 500mm Mirror lens. I have the 18 - 105mm DX and a 50mm 1.8. They ranged in price from 60dollars to 100. Are any of these decent for that price to play around with or are they basically going to give me the same as I have now. Im not familiar with the d90's crop factor etc. I think all of them were autofocus capable except one. Thanks for any info you can tell me. The guy at the store wasnt the camera expert he was an associate new and everyone else was gone for lunch. Thanks in advance.

The zooms are probably cheap 'kit' lenses...I wouldn't bother with them.
The 135mm prime sounds interesting though.

Those 500mm Mirror lenses are usually iffy in terms of quality. Some people have a little fun with them, but don't expect great results from it. It it's dirt cheap, I'd consider it...but otherwise don't waste your money.

Even if you get a good quality mirror lens, the bokeh on them is usually pretty ugly (very distinctive "doughnuts").

This might be the Nikkor 28-70 that they have for sale, since the price is so low: Nikon 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5

The 135mm prime...what brand is it? Is it a Nikon Series E? Or a Nikkor? The Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 is a decent lens, the Series E model decidedly less so. If it's an f/2.8 model, a Nikon-made 135 will be a manual focusing model, just so you know.

$60-$100 lenses can be fun to use, if they are appropriate to your situation. Worth/value is hard to answer unless there are specifics, like make and exact model. For example, a 135mm made and sold as a Sears or Rokinon is worth closer to $25 than it is $100...

Thanks for your advice guys. Yes the 135 prime was really the only one I was torn about and it was a Nikkor model, the mirror was a Tamron and there was another Nikkor and then a sigma but I think in the long run Im going to save that money for the Sigma 70 - 200mm I have my eye on for July. They also had a used one for sale at the price of 799 lol which is what I can get it new for from B&H. :) Anyways I was just checking with you guys since I dont know much about lenses so thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back