Quick! Can someone teach me Calculus!?!

Do you check the "grade your professor" on myspace? I find that pretty valuable. Too bad only one teacher taught stats at my college.. I knew going into it after reading the stuff on myspace about her that it would suck. I love grading my teachers after I'm done with them ;) It's been a good resource for me.

I've been told different things as far as stats. I've been told from some it's easier than pre-calc,and from some that it's harder than calc.

Statistics is just different from pre-calc... I hardly consider the introductory statistics a math class. It falls more in line with an engineering class "Memorize this formula or know these buttons on your calculator" calculator or formula depends on your teacher. I had a problem with statistics because they never presented the logic behind the material (of course I did the whole class in 4 weeks and got an A...)

I use Grade My Professor with every teacher I get. ;)

I think I'll ask around more about the stats class and do some more of my own research before I make a decision. I would think that a statistics class would be more useful to a psychology major than calculus would, though.

I heard a great, albiet nerdy joke once...

You ask 3 people the same question: "What is 2+2"
The mathematition answers simply "4"

The Computer Scientist says "A number very closely approximating 4"

The statistition says:

"What do you want it to be?"

And the programmer says, "100" (get it, 00000100?)

And depending on what language you're writing in, sometimes you might get 22 for an answer (whoops!). Or maybe that's just me. I tried programming languages but I always messed something up. :)

My school may offer Calculus by distance learning (where your teacher is on satellite television). I don't know, because those classes aren't listed in the class schedule. I'll have to go ask. I don't think they offer classes that the main branch offers by remote link, cause it would be counter-productive, you know?

They have a class called "Survey of Calculus." I don't know what it is or how it differs in topics from Calc 1, but you can only get credit for it or Calc 1, and you have to take Calc 1 to take Calc 2 (the other doesn't work). So I don't know what good it would do me. Still, since my purpose is to become re-aquainted with the material, it may be ideal.

I have heard that statistics is like jumping in to a different language. But then again isn't math a language in and of itself?

Yes math is definitely its own language just like any other advanced field.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back