Quick! Can someone teach me Calculus!?!

That is strange they don't have it.

It's such a basic math class. For my degree, before transferring out of my community college to a University, I have to have either Calc, pre-calc, or statistics. I think I'm taking stats.

Avoid stats at all costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a straight A student and consider myself pretty intelligent, worked my ass off in that class and only pulled a B-. I was pretty pissed. Pre calc is definitly easier IMO.

Don't tell me its hard!! I have to take it in the spring semester! :confused:

It's not that hard, you just have to pay attention and do your homework. I went through Calc I, II and III ok, but I paid attention.

Senior Hound, next to Physics, Calculus is one of the most beneficial and important classes for Engineering. You will absolutely need to find a school that offers it if you plan on majoring in that. I HIGHLY recommend a Pre-cal class.

Corry, I took Statistics, and it clicked with me. I had a really good teacher, and ended up breezing through that class because of it. It is the only class in college that I ended up with 108 (because of all the extra credit I did). I do think though the pre-cal is a pretty easy class also. The most important thing is to do your homework. For some reason I loved math and ended up working extra problems on my own. What's funny is that in 7th grade, my teacher pulled me asside and said that I would never amount to anything in match (not a great thing for a teacher to say). Well this pissed my dad off, and he made sure that he worked a ton with me on it. I ended up with a mathematic college scholorship :D. It wasn't because I was mathematically inclined, it was just because I practiced, paid attention, and did my homework.

How was Linear Algebra? I elected to take Dif EQ...

Veeery abstract. The first week, it's basically Algebra in one and two dimensions, basically what Algebra II was. THen they show you how to do the same thing using a Matrix. Week 2 is three dimensions, and then the Matrix. Week 3...well: "We've done about all we can with this material for visable dimensions, so let's generalize for n-dimensions." Which is where we lived for the remainder of the semester.

It was difficult, but I thought Calculus 3 was harder

calculus just gets a bad rep. im an engineering/journalism student (might switch the engineeringn degree to a math one but idk) and calc isnt as hard as people say and im no rhode scholar to say the least.

just learn derivatives. thats what calc I is mostly about. towards the end u might start using antiderivatives (integrals) but you get more in depth with that stuff in calc II.

its really no big deal, just take good notes and im sure youll be fine.

if you want some preliminary background check out http://www.physicsforums.com/

calc II is sort of a ***** but its not as bad as everyone says it is. plus look on the bright side, after calc II the math (generally) gets easier to deal with. well at least for yr first 2 years i heard.

Veeery abstract. The first week, it's basically Algebra in one and two dimensions, basically what Algebra II was. THen they show you how to do the same thing using a Matrix. Week 2 is three dimensions, and then the Matrix. Week 3...well: "We've done about all we can with this material for visable dimensions, so let's generalize for n-dimensions." Which is where we lived for the remainder of the semester.

It was difficult, but I thought Calculus 3 was harder

I had Matrix Algebra...I guess that's the same thing maybe? It was a little weird, but yeah, Calc 3 was harder.

I had Matrix Algebra...I guess that's the same thing maybe? It was a little weird, but yeah, Calc 3 was harder.

But was your Prof as awesome as mine? He had back problems so he taught the entire semester laying down next to an overhead projector! He was also so good he got applause at the end of the semester...

But was your Prof as awesome as mine? He had back problems so he taught the entire semester laying down next to an overhead projector! He was also so good he got applause at the end of the semester...

Wow! That's dedication! It's sad that a lot teachers seem to be so underappreciated these days.

I went through Calc I, II and III ok, but I paid attention.

Corry, I took Statistics, and it clicked with me. I had a really good teacher, and ended up breezing through that class because of it.

Was this before or after 3 calculus classes?? :meh:

I've never taken a class above precalc.. and if the choice was pre calc or stats... I'll take precalc for sure!

I eventually at the very end had statistics "click" for me. But the whole semester was pretty much torture. Minimum of 7 hrs -14hrs a week spent on just homework.

But here's some statistics for you. 32 people started out in the class. At the end there were SIXTEEN of us left. Our teacher posted our grades of our midterm (anonymously, just the actual score, no names) and 50% of us were failing. Only 1 person had above a 90. I had an 83.

I didn't notice that in precalc at all. Seemed everyone did fine. It could be any number of variables (hard teacher, hard subject, etc etc) Who knows? lol

I've never taken a class above precalc.. and if the choice was pre calc or stats... I'll take precalc for sure!

I eventually at the very end had statistics "click" for me. But the whole semester was pretty much torture. Minimum of 7 hrs -14hrs a week spent on just homework.

But here's some statistics for you. 32 people started out in the class. At the end there were SIXTEEN of us left. Our teacher posted our grades of our midterm (anonymously, just the actual score, no names) and 50% of us were failing. Only 1 person had above a 90. I had an 83.

I didn't notice that in precalc at all. Seemed everyone did fine. It could be any number of variables (hard teacher, hard subject, etc etc) Who knows? lol

I think it was my first semester during Calc I. It sounds like you had a hard class! I don't remember anyone dropping out of mine.

I heard a great, albiet nerdy joke once...

You ask 3 people the same question: "What is 2+2"
The mathematition answers simply "4"

The Computer Scientist says "A number very closely approximating 4"

The statistition says:

"What do you want it to be?"

I've been told different things as far as stats. I've been told from some it's easier than pre-calc,and from some that it's harder than calc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back