quick help with lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Kimba, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Kimba

Kimba TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    O.k so today i was given a Tamron 55-200mm 1:4-5.6 lens. I'm new to all this and wondering if anyone has used one before and can tell me their opinion on it.
    I am saving up for a canon 50mm 1:1.4 lens and wondering if i should sell this one and get the 50mm or if this is a good score worth keeping hold of?

2. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't speak for that lens in particular, but those are two different beasts. Which would you use more? Do you do a lot that benefits from zoom power, or would you get more use out of a fast prime?

3. Kimba

Kimba TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well i dont really know yet as i'm new to all this. starting to wonder if i should keep the Tamron and keep saving for the 1.4?

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

The telephoto zoom lens and the 50mm prime lens are for different purposes. Whether to replace the Tamron with the 50mm prime is a personal choice.

For someone that like to take photos at the zoo may want to have a lens that has a longer focal length.

It is hard for someone else to make a decision for you since I may say keep the telephoto, but all you really want is to take head shot portrait type photos. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. thenikonguy

thenikonguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if it was a tamron 2.8 I would say keep it.. but a 4-5.6, they are a dime a dozen.. you'll likely get more use out of a 50