Quick Question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Nikon Fan, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

So I'm looking to get a telephoto lens and there is one on ebay right now that I am currently watching and will most likely bid on. However the weird thing it says its a Sigma lens lists the rest of the info but doesn't say what mount...someone asked the seller what camera it would work on and he lists all 5 that sigma says it will work on (sigma,canon,nikon,minolta,pentax). So is it possible for this lens to fit all these cameras? Or is it possible that the seller doesn't know which, and if I get the lens and it's made for nikon is there a way to use it on a canon camera with an adaptor of some sort? Honestly I know squat about lenses so this is probably an easy answer type thing, but I don't want to be stuck with lenses that won't work on my camera. Thanks for the help!!!

2. deb

deb TPF Noob!

I know that minolta has had several different bayonette mounts over the years. Is the lens an autofocus lens? If so, it may be fully functional on a minolta maxxum but not on an xd-11. The lens will be limited by the capabilities of the camera body, and vice versa.

3. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

give us a link to the item. It might not be a good idea to buy a lens from someone who doesn't know what type of mount it is.

4. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

5. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

As far as I can tell your assumtion is correct that it will work on all of thoose models. It does say on their website is Nikon D mount. Check they're website out maybe you can figure it out, it's rather confusing.

What body do you have?

6. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Canon Rebel XT...the link they provide in the question asked was to the sigma site which lists them all...so I would assume that means you have choice of the mount but I'm not for sure. I guess I can always bid and hope that it works with my camera and if not resell and buy one that does...

7. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

Yea the question is does it fit them all, or is it available in all? There is an adaptor for Nikon to Canon. I don't know if you lose any functionality using it though.

8. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Not sure about that...I guess there's no real way of knowing either....good to know that theres an adaptor though b/c I wasn't sure. I guess I'll just see what happens and hope for the best :) Thanks for the help!

9. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can't you compare the electrical connections in the photos to the connections you already have on your lens?

10. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sigma makes lenses for all of the major brands but each mount IS different. They do have adapters, for example, to use a Canon mount lens in a Nikon camera but I have NO idea how that affects the camera's metering. I would say that either these guys don't have a clue or that you have your choice of mounts once you win the auction. That is the question that I'd ask them. The price is certainly right though.

11. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Amanada, you get what you pay for when it comes to lenses. I would avoid a bundle of cheap lenses. My advice is to save your money and buy a nice one.

12. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Thanks guys :) I ended up losing the auction b/c I had to go to work and wasn't able to bid anymore. So I'll find another...

Thanks for the advice Matt, I understand what you're saying, but know that I won't be able to really afford nice lenses anytime soon...and currently the 28-105mm f/4-5.6 is what I'm working with and I actually like the lens alot, but that's because I haven't had the pleasure of comparing it to a good one. But for now I think the money given will be worth it IMO...

Thanks again all for the help!!!!