quick TIFF file saving question

crystalview

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey friends,

Can anyone fill me in on how to save files in photoshop7 in TIFF format?

I hit save in PS, and get a prompt window asking me which image compression to save in...."none","LZW","ZIP", and "JPEG."

Can anyone tell me which one of these I choose? And if I need a special program to open these once saved.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Jared

If you do a "save as" you should get a dialog box that has two spaces at the bottom. The first one is for the file name and the second should be for the file type. There should be a wide range of file types to choose from (with a pull down arrow).

I always save in PSD format unless I'm making a copy to view on the web. Then I choose JPEG and set a compression level to get a manageable file size.

Save As
Select TIFF from the Drop down menu
Compression - NONE

I choose TIFF because it is much lighter than .psd.

And then I Save As JPEG for Web veiwing.

Use no compression if you are sending your image someplace and are worried about compatibility.

Use LZW or ZIP when storing on your hard drive. Both compression schemes are lossless and it will save a LOT of room if you take a lot of images. I use ZIP, personally.

Don't ever use JPG. It's a lossy compression and you might as well use an actual JPG for compatibility sake when it's called for.

markc said:
Use LZW or ZIP when storing on your hard drive. Both compression schemes are lossless and it will save a LOT of room if you take a lot of images.
Thats news. Thanks Mark!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back