D70 "Essentials"

mcbphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello everyone.
i just purchased my D70 a while ago and have the
18-70mm kit lens and the 70-300mm zoom.
i also have a bag.
i was wondering what else you guys think would be essentials to go along with the camera.

thanks for any input given.

You left your question really open- im sure a few people will be happy to help you if you told us:
*What sort of photography you generally do
*How much youd like to spend

Also it sounds like your ready to buy things when maybe you dont need them. A simple answer would be to wait until your photography gets to a point when your thinking 'hmm i need a _______' then if you think its going to be useful buy it

i take pictures of pretty much everything.
i am mainly focused on skateboarding, though.
if that helps any.
i am also willing to spend up to 1000 dollars.

sorry to leave my question so broad....

You have everything you need, take that $1000 and buy a D70 for me please. :)
All I have in my bag of goodies:

1. Camera 50mm lens and 28-70 lens
2. Some filters I rarely use.
3. Flash.
4. Rolls of film - exposed and modest ;)
5. Lighter

You can grab a tripod if you don't have one - they always help and when you need it it's never around. Other than that I don't find myself looking for anything while on the move.

Extra batteries and a recharger.
UV or Skylight filters for lens protection.
Close-up lense (macro).

Tri-pods are a must for any type of photography!
They helped me to get the picture I wanted so many times, I wish I used one sooner!
I have big old tripod you see all the time and then I got a mini tripod!
The mini-pod is great for photography on the go!
I don't mean the lame little ones you get at walmart for $5, I mean a nice one. I have a Mini-pod I love! Heres the link! http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...arent_category_rn=4760433&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Hope this helps! :D
Cmptrdewd

1) Tripod/support... save yourself some trouble and get a nice sturdy one with a good head. My recommendation goes for Bogen 3021Pro legs and 3047 pan/tilt head. (250 bucks)

2) Forget UV filters. They degrade your quality. Get a lens hood.

3) 35mm and 50mm primes. With D70, 35mm is gonna be your "normal" lens and 50mm will be the portrait lens.

4) For zoom... get a 70-200 f/2.8... :D here goes your grand :D But I bet you won't regret it for a second.

But what you need to do, is just get out and shoot shoot shoot. Do the photography you wanna do and THEN, when you feel that your equipment limits you... only then go out and buy stuff.

Hey there,

I recommend the 50mm 1.8, or 1.4 if you want to spend the extra cash.
Both are SUPER sharp lenses.

I would also recommend an external flash. I have the sb-600, but again, if you have the cash, pick up the sb-800. Check out this thread:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15215

I used the sb-600 on the first shot...turned out "ok" for my first time out.

good luck and have fun...! Its a killer camera as you probably already know.

well, you did not mention a spare battery, would be a good thing to have a spare charged up, never ran mine down in a day of shooting, but ya never know... and of course you will want a circular polarizer. now go take some pictures.

hey whats up mcbphoto.....i do some photography for transworld....im sure you've heard of it.....if i were you i'd definitely get a circular polarizer..(for overall color saturation)...a sturdy bogen tripod.....and an external flash like the one crystalview recommended which is essential in skateboard photography....enjoy your D70....i just got one for christmas and i'm loving it....take care.....peace

transworld is definently really cool.
thanks for your insight.

Sounds like you got the sigma 2 lens kit.

I work at Kit's Cameras, not that that matters, but that's just where i recognize those lenses from.

Anyway, we always recomend that people buy a tripod and a lens cleaning cloth, but i doubt anyone posting here doesn't have one.

an extra battery can be picked up for 70 bucks w/ a charger.

The built in flash is ok, but i would invest in a good flash like the sb 600 would be good. As redeye says, for skateboarding, you definatly will want one.

Most reactions

Back