randomness

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Seeing as my site is still being a turd is it alright to randomly add bits to this thread as and when I want?

So, starting off. We've got a large shed at the end of the garden. When I was little I used to have a train set in there but it hasn't been used for years. It got filled full of crap. Three years ago we cleared out the loft and put stuff which was meant to either go to a car boot sale or stuck up on eBay. Up until two days ago it still had all the crap in there plus bits I've taken off of the car (carbs, bits of gearbox, dynamo, etc). I've always wanted a darkroom (well, since I wanted one anyway) so it was chosen to be put there. I phoned up the British Heart Foundation to arrange for them to collect all the **** except for my precious broom broom parts. They said it'd be a week. Get a phone call a few days later and he asks if he can pick it all up sooner. Woo.

So with less crap in there today it was cleared out. A santa and snowman light have been put in the garage ready to go into the loft. Various bits of garden furniture as well. The train set has been stripped and broken up. It was made out of two bits of roofing chipboard so was large. That will now be burnt on the fire in the living room when it gets cold. Wall paper has started to be stripped. Wire has been "obtained" for the safelights. And the same with a Belfast sink. Big heavy sod, at least 25kg in weight.

Tomorrow more wallpaper gets taken off. A power socket gets moved, a small area where a window was replaced gets some plasterboard put around it, a huge heavy set of draws will be moved.

Later on new wallpaper will go up, the room will be painted, a work area along two walls will be built, a water pipe will be laid all the way up the garden for the sink.

After dinner I'm actually going to test the enlarger and my DuoLab to see if they work. :mrgreen:

Enlarger timer is fooked. It always exposes for 25 seconds no mater what I do. So I'll be taking that apart later to find out why. I can't find my B&W negs either for some reason.

Didn't have enough water for the DuoLab. It needs distilled water and I only had one of the two litres it needs so I'll be popping out after my shower.

Had a read of the instructions. I have all I need to process colour positive and negative film. Only 35mm so I'll be looking for the drum which allows me to do 120 as well. I doubt I'll find one. I can do 8x10 and 12x16 paper as well. :shock:

It has three temperature settings which are 24, 35 and 38. Everything turns and gurgles like I assume it should. If the temperatures are out I can easily adjust it as well. So if I really wanted to I could have three different ones to what it should have.

Exchange one "o" for a "c" and the other for a "u".
It was just a lose screw Works fine now. As does the Jobo.

Exchange one "o" for a "c" and the other for a "u".
It was just a lose screw Works fine now. As does the Jobo.
Awesome news - so you're in business now with a working timer. :thumbup:

I can't wait to see your first prints from this setup! It's always exciting to read along when people are setting up their darkrooms for the first time. :D

Hurry up and find those B&W negatives! :lol:

Ferny has always talked like a sailor. :meh: It's appalling.

Is that not part of my charm?

I cna be good when I need to be. I used to work with kids, remember? Althought there were one or two close calls.

Awesome news - so you're in business now with a working timer. :thumbup:

I can't wait to see your first prints from this setup! It's always exciting to read along when people are setting up their darkrooms for the first time. :D

Hurry up and find those B&W negatives! :lol:

You're probably more excited than me. I've just been stripping wallpaper and I've had enough. It's a horrible job and gives me far too much time to think...
That and I have to move everything about as I work. Probably got 1/4 stripped today.

Oh yeah, and if you ever come over to England you're more than welcome to use my darkroom if you need a fix. (serious offer)

Oh yeah, and if you ever come over to England you're more than welcome to use my darkroom if you need a fix. (serious offer)
heh. I plan on making that a destination someday, so you'll be hearing from me when it happens. :) It would be awesome just to have a safe place to develop some film before flying home. I've done the "develop in your hotel room" thing and it's kinda nerve-wracking.

Then we can go for a bike ride or something. :thumbup:

heh. I plan on making that a destination someday, so you'll be hearing from me when it happens. :) It would be awesome just to have a safe place to develop some film before flying home. I've done the "develop in your hotel room" thing and it's kinda nerve-wracking.

Then we can go for a bike ride or something. :thumbup:
You'll need to get some practice in if you want to keep up with me. :p

Actually, I've not rode my bike at all this year. :shock: And still have plans to get one with an engine attatched at some point.

Honestly, I didn't ride much, either - started off strong but it got wayyyy too hot this summer, so I let it go. Was busy with festivals during the perfect time of year to ride, too. :grumpy:

So maybe we'll just go for a stroll while my negs are drying. That way I know you won't run over any squirrels, either. :mrgreen:

It was dead before I got there, honest.

Darkroom will be put on the back-burner today.
On the way home from town I popped into the local photography shop to see if they had anything to flush out some gunk from my DuoLab. The developer section and bottle are stained a reddish black. The manual says that Jobo do a flush so I thought I'd try two shops and neither had anything like it. One gave me Jobo's number though. So if anyone knows of anything let me know. And if you want detailed shots of this Jobo say and I'll take some for you. So you can figure out what it is. :)

Where was I? Oh yes. Started the car up. It'd been fine all day and it's never broken down on me at all. I heard a loud *bang* so turned it off and inspected the engine. I could feel the fan was loose. Nothing wrong with the engine though. So I drove home with it rattling away like mad every time it was at low revs. Got a huge *bang* as I pulled away from a junction so pulled over and everything still seemed fine. Fan perhaps a little wobblier. Got home and inspected it. It feels like two of the four bolts which hold it on have come off somehow. I found one bolt sitting on top of carb two (the one on the left, the fan is on the far right of the picture below) and a dent in the fan cover on the radiator. That must explain the big bang.

ee84c56f.jpg

So now I'm waiting for the water to cool off, then I can drain the whole system, take the radiator off, find out if the threads are stripped or if there's another reason for the bolts coming out and then put it all back.

My site is working now if you want to look at that Holga and B&W stuff. Nothing impressive though.

This is Sally?!? :shock:

And I still think you're lying about the squirrel. :meh:

Aye, that's her.
I attacked her with some paint and changed the carbs from a single Stromberg to twin SU's.

All sorted. Two bolts missing and a third was very loose. God knows why. Assuming they were the correct bolts. They also had spring washers and all was tight when I took it off before.

Not found the other bolt. But found one washer on the bulkhead and another down by the steering rack. Could have been nasty without that fan guard.

I've cut down a couple of bolts so they're slightly longer than the old ones (they're short enough to not be too long) and put on new spring washer. I'll keep my eye on it. I also found some crub coming out of the radiator even though it's had a recent flush. So at least I got rid of that.

468e9235.jpg

That's how she used to look.

Most reactions

Back