Rant - Volleyball Tournement Disaster

The "pro" shot indoor volleyball at f/5.6 at 1/15 second at ISO 400. Laughable! Simply hilarious chit!

With that exif data I am pretty sure the action shots have no ball and no arms.

Every picture is essentially a picasso painting. Who needs bokah when the entire scene is one giant blur.

One thing you could do, would be to offer the other parents, the shots that you took. If you don't want to be in business, then you could just give them away. This would likely undermine the so-called professional...which would typically be frowned upon....but it's also upon them to take advantage of their on-the-floor privileged to get better results, and if they don't deliver, then no sympathy for them.

I always do. Every game I shoot I post on photobucket. The only thing I don't do is a lot of post production work, except for maybe 3-5 shots for posting on here (they also get put on the album). That's why I'm here...to make myself a much better photographer for personal, hobby related reasons. Just because I have no ambition to sell my pictures, doesn't mean I want to take crappy shots. Thats why I like it here. One thing I don't have to worry about is if I'm getting honest critique! :lol:

Plus, this is 6th, 7th and 8th grade girls Volleyball. We're not talking collegiate/pro level action here. Most of the games I'm the one taking the pictures. My daughters coach has dubbed me the 'team photographer'. I'm not intending to take away someones income, as typically there isn't anyone else taking shots.

Anyways I was just ticked off and wanted to blow off some steam. Appreicate all the feedback.

I can understand the restricted to only the event hired pro... but I would be pissed too if that were the outcome!

Can't see the pics and do not want to sign up for a Walgreens sign-on.

Didn't realize you needed to sign up. Sorry for the trouble, thanks for looking.

No prob here! Are you going to post up some of your shots from the stands?

I agree allot of that blame goes on whoever hired them to do the photos. I wonder if its one of the organisations wife or husband... As a parent I surely wouldn't buy one of those pics. and if I was the promoter i'd be embarresed to even show them. Once I saw them i'd tell the lady not to bother even putting them up. And then I would send out an apology to those attending who were waiting for quality pics.

They were spaced over 3 games, here are a couple from each game. Also, they were shot in .jpg (at the time) I now shoot in .jpg/RAW based on earlier feedback from postings after the tournment. I use the RAW images to work with in PP, and throw the bulk on photobucket with the .jpg shots.

Game 1:

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

2nd Game

IMG_5011-1.jpg

5. Just liked the shot.

IMG_5027.jpg

3rd Game

IMG_5110.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

Lets see the exif data for your photos :)

Lets see the exif data for your photos :)

I don't strip them off, but I don't see them on photobucket either. All are ISO 3200, shutter speed 1/500-1/640, and f/2.8-3.5. Was between 85-140mm for all shots.

I would have gone higer in ISO, but didn't have a good noise reduction software at the time, but now I'll shoot up to 6400. Also, keep in mind this was the first day that I shot with the new lens, so I wasn't 100% confident with zooming. Also, much to my dismay I was shooting in single shot AF, I have now learned to use AF Servo for shooting sports.

What noise reduction software do you use now?

LR4 (Beta). After the beta period ends, I'll bite the bullet and pay the $79.00 It's a lot cheaper than CS5.5, although I've heard there is a beta going on with CS6 and I sure do like 'free'! ;)

Your shots aren't bad at all, I'm sure a lot better than the ones at a 15th of a second... You best pet is to build a site with all your sports images and try to land the job next time. Even if you use a 500px type site to get the job and something like Smugmug to sell the images on. I had the same problem when I started shooting BMX racing, there were a few other photographers, but most didn't really understand fill flash or color correction. All you can really do is put your best work out there and hopefully win people over. At any rate I can't think any parents were really buying the "professionals" images with that camera data.

Also remember with youth sports sometimes the best images aren't of the game, the good ones are more the sidelines type stuff...

The last one had some EXIF data. Seems like good settings, but I don't do sports. The only thing I see is matrix meetering that may be an issue, but again I don't do sports. I think your shots are pretty decent for being in the stands. I know your images have to be better then the "pro" by the EXIF you posted. The best you can do is talk to them.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Image Date: 2012-02-11 17:30:11 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 110mm
Aperture: f/3.2
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 3200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual