RAW Questions

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Nikon Fan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I've been trying to edit some raw images that I shot, and according to a Scott Kelby book I should be able to open them in Photoshop CS...but I'm not able to. I went to the adobe site and downloaded a plugin (2.4 for CS) and still cannot get it to open. I used an Infranview program to saw the image as another filetype (Raw rather than the CR2 type) and I can get it to open but then the image is greyscale and very strange looking. I've never tried to do anything with Raw image before, I've always just used the fine Jpeg settings. Any help would be appreciate much :)

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you have the latest version of 'Camera RAW' for photoshop? That is the "plug-in" or "patch" that lets you open the Raw files of different digital cameras.

.CR2 files are not all the same, you might be able to open a .CR2 file from a 300D, but need a new patch to open a .CR2 from your XT.

You should also be able to open the Raw files with the software provided with the camera.

3. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

Yeah I downloaded version 2.4 of it b/c that's the one that works with CS, there are newer versions, but they only work with CS2. I just figured opening in CS would be easier than using 2 different programs...

Just tried using another packaged program that came with the camera and it's working, now to figure it all out :)

4. bluesaphyer

bluesaphyer TPF Noob!

Which camera are you using? Only the newest versions of the Adobe plugin that go with CS2 have support for the 350D.

Julie

5. NYY

NYY TPF Noob!

cs2 9 supports my 300d raws without any additional plugins needed

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 300D RAW files are older and support for them was included with previous version of Adobe Camera Raw. I believe she is using a 350D (Rebel XT) which does require an updated verison of Camera Raw.

7. cpimp

cpimp TPF Noob!

I just shot a few RAW images on my Fuji s5100 for the first time. They looked the exact same as the JPEG photos that I took?? Aren't they supposed to look super different?

8. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, Raw files can be better manipulated . A missed exposure can be adjusted, white balance can be moved. If you shoot RAW, you have a lot more control in post processing. If every shot you take is perfect, just shoot JPG and save drive space. I'm not that good and only shoot RAW.

9. cpimp

cpimp TPF Noob!

I cant open my RAW files in Photoshop 7, so i have to convert them to a JPEG or Tiff File in the converting software given by fuji. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

10. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does your Fuji software permit you to make "adjustments" as you are opening the files? If not, then yes it defeats the purpose of RAW. TIFF will help perserve the image quality without introducing any compression artifacts to the image.

11. cpimp

cpimp TPF Noob!

i cant make any adjustments with the software from fuji- i'm a little upset. Is there a patch or something I can download for photoshop 7 that allows me to adjust my RAW images?

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should be able to download an updated 'Camera Raw' for photoshop 7 that would allow you to open RAW files in Photoshop. Well, open them is the wrong word...it allows you to convert them to an image file format while giving you the opportunity to make any of the adjustments.

I linked to a good article about RAW... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30686