RAW Questions

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been trying to edit some raw images that I shot, and according to a Scott Kelby book I should be able to open them in Photoshop CS...but I'm not able to. I went to the adobe site and downloaded a plugin (2.4 for CS) and still cannot get it to open. I used an Infranview program to saw the image as another filetype (Raw rather than the CR2 type) and I can get it to open but then the image is greyscale and very strange looking. I've never tried to do anything with Raw image before, I've always just used the fine Jpeg settings. Any help would be appreciate much :)

Do you have the latest version of 'Camera RAW' for photoshop? That is the "plug-in" or "patch" that lets you open the Raw files of different digital cameras.

.CR2 files are not all the same, you might be able to open a .CR2 file from a 300D, but need a new patch to open a .CR2 from your XT.

You should also be able to open the Raw files with the software provided with the camera.

Yeah I downloaded version 2.4 of it b/c that's the one that works with CS, there are newer versions, but they only work with CS2. I just figured opening in CS would be easier than using 2 different programs...

Just tried using another packaged program that came with the camera and it's working, now to figure it all out :)

Which camera are you using? Only the newest versions of the Adobe plugin that go with CS2 have support for the 350D.

Julie

cs2 9 supports my 300d raws without any additional plugins needed

The 300D RAW files are older and support for them was included with previous version of Adobe Camera Raw. I believe she is using a 350D (Rebel XT) which does require an updated verison of Camera Raw.

I just shot a few RAW images on my Fuji s5100 for the first time. They looked the exact same as the JPEG photos that I took?? Aren't they supposed to look super different?

I just shot a few RAW images on my Fuji s5100 for the first time. They looked the exact same as the JPEG photos that I took?? Aren't they supposed to look super different?

No, Raw files can be better manipulated . A missed exposure can be adjusted, white balance can be moved. If you shoot RAW, you have a lot more control in post processing. If every shot you take is perfect, just shoot JPG and save drive space. I'm not that good and only shoot RAW.

I cant open my RAW files in Photoshop 7, so i have to convert them to a JPEG or Tiff File in the converting software given by fuji. Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Does your Fuji software permit you to make "adjustments" as you are opening the files? If not, then yes it defeats the purpose of RAW. TIFF will help perserve the image quality without introducing any compression artifacts to the image.

i cant make any adjustments with the software from fuji- i'm a little upset. Is there a patch or something I can download for photoshop 7 that allows me to adjust my RAW images?

You should be able to download an updated 'Camera Raw' for photoshop 7 that would allow you to open RAW files in Photoshop. Well, open them is the wrong word...it allows you to convert them to an image file format while giving you the opportunity to make any of the adjustments.

I linked to a good article about RAW... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30686

mountainlander said:
I have the same problem. PS CS and XT. I use the software bundled with the camera to capture and convert to a .tiff file.

Which software did you use? The Zoombrowser software that comes with it allows for editing raw and then converting, but after messing with it yesterday it seems to give you flexibility in only what the camera would...the things I've seen in PS that you can do seem to be a lot better...must be an XT and PS problem I guess...I know that if you have CS2 it will work fine :confused:

zoombrowser raw editor is terrible. I would email adobe, and ask them how to rectify the situation. My 10d files open in photoshop cs with no problems, so I dont know how to help beyond that :meh:.

Good luck!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back