**Re-post** What's the difference?

missred75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this in the wrong place originally, so I'm going to try again...

I'm very new to photography, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. (I know those 2 things cancel each other out, but I want to make sure I really enjoy it before spending a ton of money on it.)

Anyway, I'm looking for a macro lens for my Canon Rebel XT. I would like to get a Sigma lens because they're less expensive than the Canon lenses. I have found the 50mm, 100mm, and the 150mm f2.8 macro lenses from Sigma and they seem to be what I'm looking for. However, I'm trying to figure out the real difference between them besides price. I am looking to take pics of flowers, butterflies, etc.

Can anyone tell me what the distance from my subject would be on each of these lenses? I think that might help me to determine which would be the best fit.

Thanks so much.

I posted this in the wrong place originally, so I'm going to try again...

I'm very new to photography, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. (I know those 2 things cancel each other out, but I want to make sure I really enjoy it before spending a ton of money on it.)

Anyway, I'm looking for a macro lens for my Canon Rebel XT. I would like to get a Sigma lens because they're less expensive than the Canon lenses. I have found the 50mm, 100mm, and the 150mm f2.8 macro lenses from Sigma and they seem to be what I'm looking for. However, I'm trying to figure out the real difference between them besides price. I am looking to take pics of flowers, butterflies, etc.

Can anyone tell me what the distance from my subject would be on each of these lenses? I think that might help me to determine which would be the best fit.

Thanks so much.

could you post links to the products?

I'd get the 105, 1:1 magnification, minimum aperture of f/45 for great macro DOF, and middle priced. Also, to utilize the 50 mm's 1:1 you'd have to put the lens REALLY close to your subject, but with the 105, you could stand a bit farther away and still get a shot as close looking. Think about it, if you want to take pictures of bugs, (think P&S camera) you wouldn't zoom all the way out, then get so close as to scare it away, you'd zoom in all the way and step back a little bit.

Having a 105mm focal length is great for macro because longer focal lengths help to compress and flatten images a bit. The 150 is the best of what you posted but it costs more.

Thank you! I'll look into getting the 105mm. It sounds like it'll suit my needs.

105 for the win, esp. if you're doing insects. The 50 makes you get so close that you'll scare them away.

Most reactions

Back