? re: tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

lornee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! My husband surprised me with a new camera and lens for V-day.:heart:The lens he got me is a tamron 28-75 f/2.8 macro. I've read really good reviews overall about this lens, but there have been concerns with quality control. What is the best way to ensure that I got a "good" copy? I have no "L" lens to compare it to and don't personally know any pros to ask for advice. He bought it online, so I doubt if local stores will be willing to help me with this issue.... Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time and consideration!

if you are looking for quality of the lens all of the macro pictures on my flickr were taken with it.
i love it btw great lens

Take some shots :) Generally, Tamron lenses don't have the best build quality such as nikon or canon, but it should be fine.

I personally have had absolutely no problems with it, and it has been my favorite lens to use for over a year now.

Welcome to the forum.

It's most likely fine...but you can check a few things. Make sure it operates properly...zooms and focus smoothly. Also, make sure the aperture blades work properly. If your camera has DOF preview, put the camera into Av mode and set different aperture and press the preview button while looking into the front of the lens. You should be able to see the blades close.

Probably the most likely problem would be with the focus alignment. To test this, you can download and print a focus test chart (or just use a piece of paper with writing or something on it. Put the camera on a tripod and position it so that it's 45 degree from the paper. Focus on a spot (a line of text etc)...use F2.8. Take the shot then upload and view on the computer. Ideally, the spot that you focused on, should be the sharpest thing in the image...(it should get blurry as you get farther away from the line). If your lens is off, the line won't be the sharpest spot.

Now keep in mind, that it would not be uncommon for a lot of lenses to be off a little bit. And in real world shooting, it might not matter much at all.

Thanks for such quick responses! I really wasn't sure how much I could expect from it as I am soooo new to this (but eagerly learning as quickly as possible).......Logan, off to check out your pics......Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome, Mike!

And, thanks for the info too! Very helpful! I will definitely check into those things.....

Hi;
I own a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and like it very much. But you are right about the quality control issues. My lens have got a front focusing problem and needs to be re-calibrated. It focuses front and it is apparent at F2.8 to F4. After that aperture it gives perfect photo quality. I will send it to Tamron Germany for calibration. I looked to your photo and saw nothing wrong there, it seems like to be a good copy (there is not front focusing problem :)). But I advice you to test it by taking photos at different aperture values.

Hi;
I own a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and like it very much. But you are right about the quality control issues. My lens have got a front focusing problem and needs to be re-calibrated. It focuses front and it is apparent at F2.8 to F4. After that aperture it gives perfect photo quality. I will send it to Tamron Germany for calibration. I looked to your photo and saw nothing wrong there, it seems like to be a good copy (there is not front focusing problem :)). But I advice you to test it by taking photos at different aperture values.
I thought it looked pretty good as well....just wanted to get some other opinions from those more experienced than myself......Thanks!

Take real photos to test it..... Don't worry about the QC. I have one and it's an excellent lens.

great lens for general use.. it lives on my camera.

Enjoy It!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back