Real beginner questions!

amara_shadow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,I am a very new photographer - don't even have my camera yet - waiting for it to arrive. Just bought a second hand Minolta X-300s with a MD Zoom 28-70mm lens. Looking at getting a couple of filters, just to have a play around. How do I know what size filters I need? And how do square filters work?Is someone able to explain to me what the different film speeds are used for? And what is with slide films and negative films?As you can all tell, I know very little...and I think a photography for dummies book is the answer for me, but I would appreciate it if anyone had some answers for me.Any other hints and tips from anyone would be great. I don't know quite where to start.Thanks heapsAmara

How do I know what size filters I need?
There's usually a number on the front of the lens. E.G. "Ø = 32mm" or "Ø 32mm" or "32mm Ø"

And how do square filters work?
There's square filter holders that slip around the lens or the filter rings. You have to get a filter holder for each of your lenses. They're convienent cause filters drop right in, but those filters are more expensive than normal ring filters. Although with lots of lenses, it's cheaper/lighter to have 1 set of filters than 20 sets for each type of filter thread.

Is someone able to explain to me what the different film speeds are used for?
Higher the ISO, the faster the film captures light, e.g. the faster you can set your shutter speed for. Good for low light so your shutter wont have to stay open 5 minutes.

E.G. Iso 100 might require a 30 second exposure, whereas with ISO 600 your shutter exposure may only need to be 10 seconds. It helps in low light, but creates a nasty side effect called grain (which depending on the effect, may be desirable!)

And what is with slide films and negative films?
Slide films create positives instead of negatives I think. Good for projector uses. You can also make prints with this film somehow.

Normal films create negatives that you can't do much with other than create prints.

So have worked out that my lens will take 55mm filters - does this mean ANY 55mm filter will work? Or is there something else I need to look for?

So have worked out that my lens will take 55mm filters - does this mean ANY 55mm filter will work? Or is there something else I need to look for?

55mm is the size of the circle, I think it's the radius of the circle, I'm not sure. The threads are standardized between all filters.

So any filter advertised as 55mm will fit on that lens without a problem.

Most reactions

Back