No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
f29e6a07fab2b158b90a606885ab0f2e.jpg

f15c7f59c2ef0d69ceb3ea73645fac80.jpg

d16275a706bf5563455de35e9cb20146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Not bad, but I am wondering why you clipped off its wings in #2 and #3?

WesternGuy

WesternGuy

That's exactly the reason I never posted them over the summer. Didn't get them in the shot. But now I'm not being picky when I'm in withdrawal. Lol.

Gonna have to do

WesternGuy

That's exactly the reason I never posted them over the summer. Didn't get them in the shot. But now I'm not being picky when I'm in withdrawal. Lol.
You might have to do what I suspect @coastalconn does. I heard he builds them condos in his garage for the winter. ;)

Nice Osprey shots indeed.I miss them to,but spring comes back in action.

d16275a706bf5563455de35e9cb20146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

#3 doesn't require wingtips. that's a classic flying portrait as is. well done in fact imo.
I would be interested in your reference for the "classic flying portrait". What I usually like to see is illustrated by the images such as those here - 25 Stunning Photographs of Birds in Flight - IMHO, cutting off the wing tips is akin to cutting off the hands of a model in an advertising shot, but then each to his own.

WesternGuy

#3 doesn't require wingtips. that's a classic flying portrait as is. well done in fact imo.
I would be interested in your reference for the "classic flying portrait". What I usually like to see is illustrated by the images such as those here - 25 Stunning Photographs of Birds in Flight - IMHO, cutting off the wing tips is akin to cutting off the hands of a model in an advertising shot, but then each to his own.

WesternGuy

Tastes differ.
You said, "What I usually like to see is illustrated by the images such as those here"
Only your individual tastes, no relevance to the universe as a whole. You are not known for your expertise in wildlife photography. I would recommend you study the the works of Art Morris, Tom Manglesen, our own coastalconn, and msnowy, the photos of NATGeo, and many others. You will find the portraits of birds in flight do not by necessity require the entire bird to be shown, just as you do not necessarily need to show the whole moose or elephant.

Last edited:
Gonna have to do

WesternGuy

You might have to do what I suspect @coastalconn does. I heard he builds them condos in his garage for the winter. ;)
I wish that would work. I have to wait until St. Patty's to see my beloved Osprey... :(
Personally I would have went tighter on #2 but I like #3, looks like my style :)

WesternGuy

Tastes differ.
You said, "What I usually like to see is illustrated by the images such as those here"
Only your individual tastes, no relevance to the universe as a whole. You are not known for your expertise in wildlife photography. I would recommend you study the the works of Art Morris, Tom Manglesen, our own coastalconn, and msnowy, the photos of NATGeo, and many others. You will find the portraits of birds in flight do not by necessity require the entire bird to be shown, just as you do not necessarily need to show the whole moose or elephant.
Yes, tastes differ and mine are obviously quite different than yours. Just because I choose not to post here says absolutely nothing about my ability as a wildlife photographer. If you had taken the opportunity to have a look at my Flickr Albums, you would know that I have engaged in wildlife photography quite a bit in a number of different parts of the world. While I do not publish here, I do publish elsewhere - one can only post in so many places. FYI, I have been on three of Art Morris' IPTs, and am a regular follower of his blog. I also closely follow coastalconn and msnowy as you might know from my replies to their postings. I also follow the works of number of others on this site and a number of other national and international wildlife photographers, so I am well aware of the works of these folks as well those of Andy Gibb, Denise Ippolito, John Shaw, John Marriott, Wayne Lynch, Don Gutoski, Robert McCaw, Glenn Bartley, Alan Murphy, Chris Gomersall and a host of others from different parts of the world. Just in case you were interested.

FYI, I wasn't aware of the work of Tom Manglesen, so I thank you for bringing his work to my attention. I am always interested in knowing about the works of others that I can learn from.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back