Really stupid question/observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shoot in Manual 100% of the time. I need to control everything. I don't like the camera changing things up on me ;) Probably why I use CWB too...control freak.

I see a lot of people shooting in manual just so they can say "hey look at how cool I am, I shoot in manual!" Kinda like people that struggle with Linux just so they can say they don't use Windows :sexywink:

But I do have a real question about this. If you're going to shoot in manual and tweak your settings to get your on-camera light meter right in the middle at the "standard exposure" mark, then why shoot in manual? Am I missing something? I'd really like to understand why people do it. If your goal is to get a standard exposure then why not shoot in one of the other modes?

I shoot a lot of manual cause that was how I was brought up in 1970's. My second choice after manual is 'A' setting for shutter speed and manual f stop. But on a Leica it is hard to adjust the +/- comp in a fraction of a second. My Fuji is much easier with the exp comp so I use 'A' more with Fuji.

Never gave a thought to 'look how cool I am shooting manual.' That is BS. Either you produce great work or not. Great work makes yoyu cool not shooting manual and shooting crap.

I hate the cameras they make nowadays with all the auto settings that take a long time to adjust. I prefer the old school controls and manual focus lenses for a lot of my work.

I use Av and Tv mode most of the time, depending on what I'm going for. But when I'm shooting birds (especially in flight) I use manual so that I can get a proper exposure on the bird and/or a nice background blur. I was finding that shooting birds in Tv on a bright day, my backgrounds were all cluttery because the camera was picking the smallest aperture possible. I'd rather overexpose a bit and get a soft background and more highlights in the feathers.

Av and Tv

I can never remember what these setting even mean. Shutter speed, aperture and manual focus...that is it for me.

I see a lot of people shooting in manual just so they can say "hey look at how cool I am, I shoot in manual!" Kinda like people that struggle with Linux just so they can say they don't use Windows :sexywink:

But I do have a real question about this. If you're going to shoot in manual and tweak your settings to get your on-camera light meter right in the middle at the "standard exposure" mark, then why shoot in manual? Am I missing something? I'd really like to understand why people do it. If your goal is to get a standard exposure then why not shoot in one of the other modes?

Pretty good insights!!!

I shoot in M to look cool. I actually run down the streets screaming: Look at me everybody!!!! I'm in M mode! Do you even know what that means?!

I still have half of a crate of, "I shoot in M mode!" T-shirts...plenty of mediums left...you're a medium, right, B??? I'll send you one. Black, with yellow lettering (aka Nikon) or white with red text (aka Canon shooter shirt)--I have both.

Like lots of others on here, they grew up using light meters and having to set everything, no auto. I still use manual all the time, it does give me full control of what I'm doing. I don't think I've ever had anyone look over my shoulder to see if I was shooting manual. I have other photographers ask what I'm shooting at, a lot of the time what we are using for exposures are completely different, but they may be using highlights, looking for more shadow, doesn't matter.

I never really thought of shooting in manual as a way of looking cool, it's just a function on a camera. If that's what someone needs to appear cool, they have some issues beyond the camera.

Pretty good insights!!!
Why use exposure compensation when you could just set your settings right in the first place? Am I missing something??

I shoot in M to look cool. I actually run down the streets screaming: Look at me everybody!!!! I'm in M mode! Do you even know what that means?!

I still have half of a crate of, "I shoot in M mode!" T-shirts...plenty of mediums left...you're a medium, right, B??? I'll send you one. Black, with yellow lettering (aka Nikon) or white with red text (aka Canon shooter shirt)--I have both.

A Large. But I'd, seriously, take any and wear it always.

If people asked why my shirt was so tight, I'd just say cause it was an M.

Why do you call it "a stupid question" ? Just avoid people, who are showing off that they are shooting in M mode and stick with those who do, but don't speak about it. There is a good chance, they know, what they are doing.

I never really thought of shooting in manual as a way of looking cool, it's just a function on a camera. If that's what someone needs to appear cool, they have some issues beyond the camera.

That's cuz you're an actual pro. But in the amateur group there's a lot of "I shoot ONLY in manual, if you don't you're no better than a point and shoot" blahdeblah snobbery. Meanwhile they can't compose a shot.

Slackercruster, my apologies for the Canon lingo. You say shutter, aperture, manual, I said Tv Av M, same deal.

I'm Asian, and I have a camera. There is no mode that I can shoot in that'll make me look cool.

MQpjk.jpg

Pretty good insights!!!
Why use exposure compensation when you could just set your settings right in the first place? Am I missing something??

Exposure compensation only gives me a minor bump. I guess it's an in-betweener?...

Nope. Not even in a Shaolin fighting stance....

funny_photographers1.jpg

Based upon user feedback in this thread we'll be introducing a new feature to appear on user profiles - users will now be able to show off on their profile that they shoot in M mode! We'll also be introducing one for users who only shoot in A mode as well (those in between will just be left out).

In addition to the sane points raised remember that the camera meter can only read ambient light; it has no way to read light added by a flash or studio strobe. So if those are being used where they are forming a primary component to the light you have to shift into manual mode to get the settings you want, because the camera will simply not have a clue.
Note that you can use the camera meter when the flash is just there for fill lighting (bumping up the exposure on shadowed areas and thus a minor light source); its just when the flash light is a major contributing light source or the only light source contributing to the exposure, that you need to use manual mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back