rebel xti and shooting in .raw?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by J Crew, Dec 19, 2006.

1. J Crew

J Crew TPF Noob!

last night when my wife and i were messing around with her new rebel xti, we didn't see an option for saving photos in .raw. i assume that the camera automatically stores all photos in raw? or am i missing something in the menu? thanks.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have to select which format to shoot in. It does not automatically store a RAW file.

There should be a list of several options. [Raw], [JPEG; large, fine], [JPEG; large, (not fine)] etc. You can even save both a RAW file and a JPEG at the same time..[RAW+JPEG]

It should show what image format you are in...right on the screen.

Read the manual...then read it again :D

3. bryanwhite

bryanwhite TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^ And once you read through the manual, find a good video that is produced to help you get acquainted with your camera. For instance, for my Nikon D50, I used the DVD from Blue Crane Digital and it set me light years ahead on how to use the settings. Very nice since it had been about ten years since I last touched my old Rebel G (may it rest in peace and pieces, I don't want to talk about what happened :sad anim:) and it didn't have nearly as many settings as these newfangled digital SLR's. I mean, changing your film speed *without* changing the film! :lmao: What's not to love?

But in order to really understand your camera, get the DVD. It's $20, and worth so much more in shortcuts and saved frustration.

Gaw, am I really THAT long-winded?

4. J Crew

J Crew TPF Noob!

i couldn't find how to set a .raw format in the manual. it just said, these are the types of files that can be saved; raw, jpeg, raw+jpeg. when i go into my menu i only see the different sizes of jpeg... no other options. that's why i was wondering if i was missing something, lol. i'm pretty computer savvy and i would think that setting the format would be simple... but for some reason i haven't figured it out. maybe i can call technical service other something if i can't get it right tonight. thanks again.

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Canon 20D...I think the very first option on the menu screen is the file type. In that list is all the sizes of JPEG, JPEG+RAW and RAW right at the top. I don't know about the menu on the XTi though...sorry.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Page 60 of the manual shows how to set the image recording quality.

There is the possibility that you can't set RAW or RAW+ L JPEG, while in the basic shooting modes. Turn the mode dial to P, Av, Tv or M and try it again.

7. J Crew

J Crew TPF Noob!

thanks, that worked. i didn't think that there would be different options depending on mode type. thanks again.

- Jason

8. If you're in full Auto mode it won't allow RAW, only JPG.