Recharging proprietary batteries in Europe!?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by damian5000, Sep 13, 2005.

1. damian5000

damian5000 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello...I am helping a friend to purchase the Panasonic DMC-FZ5. But, she will be returning to Europe with it (we are currently in the US). Will charging the the proprietary battery be as simple as using a 220 to 110 converter? Or is there some complication we should know about? Thanks in advance for the help...

- Damian

2. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had no problem charging my equipment in Europe. But all my equipment is Australian 240Volts, so it's not that far from the 220V used in Europe. I dunno if you'll encounter problems with the 110 stuff.... probably not... but wait for someone who's been there, done that.

3. Bibos

Bibos TPF Noob!

Well if you plug in something into the european 230V outlet that's rated for 110V ONLY - then you will have something that's brown, smoking, stinking and melting.

BUT most of those chargers nowadays are rated for 110-240V (look at the power rating on the bottom of the charger) for exactly this travel purpose. If it's rated for 110-240V all you need would be a converter for the plug itself, which is really cheap (like $5 - 10).

4. mariush

mariush TPF Noob!

damian5000, I've used american charger for Panasonic fz20 for half of the year in Poland - there's no problem, You only have to buy a small "transmitter" (?) in electric shop - to be able to use 110 V charger in 220 V socket. it's very cheap, but in Europe there may be problems with finding it in the shops.

5. damian5000

damian5000 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Perfect..thanks for the help all