Reclining nude? rather a Damsel sitting

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think this lady is on the protected species list.

calopteryx_virgo_02.jpg

I kind of liked the wing detail

calopteryx_virgo_01.jpg

The hairs seem to have dissapeared into jpeging artifacts and unfortunatly it does not stand out as well as in the high res. I think it is probbably Calopteryx virgo.

calopteryx_virgo_03.jpg

This is the other colour vaiant

thanks for looking

tim

...I kind of liked the wing detail...

Whoa! :shock:
I love it!

What lights do you bring when you go out "chasing" insects and damselflies? Your photos are so very clear! Amazing. Despite all the "artifacting" by "jpeging"! I still like to see all the little hairs on your "lady's" legs (here for once they look good).

They are with a centon (also sold as vivitar and others i think) ring flash (49 euro on ebay) because it is low powered (f16 at 1:1), and occasionally the minolta which is too high powered (f32 at 1:1), so they still suffere a bit from the harsh lighting you pointed out before, and the dark background because the flash is so near the subject.

When i am really lucky and there is a lot of light around then i can either hold the flash off to the side or if i can get a good sitting position and a stable camera keep the shutter open for as long as possible and use the flash as a fill flash.

If the dark background is ok then you can always get a sharp picture without having to carry much (especially the centon)

I think the lighting is much nicer here in the next shot, there is light in the shadows from the flash and the background is still lit ok, but there is motion blurr (1/20th sec shutter speed) and a frozen image from the flash so the camera and the subject have to stay reasonably still.

silver_beetle_01.jpg

But at least most of it is sharp and there is a light background too :)

any idea what this is btw?

tim

Sorry, I am no expert on bugs or insects, at all, you usually know so much more about them than I do!

A ring flash... ah!

Well, first of all I will need to scrape together enough money to get a flash (one flash! my FIRST flash) at all.

And then learn how to use it properly! That'll be a next "study" for me. Given I can soon afford that flash I want...

And I like how that bug in your last pic here seems to "check us out" with his antennae, so the motion blur is ok by me!

Most reactions

Back