Recommend 6 x 6 Camera

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by Commonman, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm looking for a medium format camera that shoots in the 6 x 6cm or 2 1/4 format.

The Holga is too cheap and the Mamiya 6 is too expensive. I know where I can get a Rolleiflex model 3 for under $200 but I'm wonder what alternatives exist. I am a happy with buying used cameras.

Any recommendations?

2. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Rollei should be a gd camera. Check that the shutter does not stick and that the film advance works smoothly. If you can ,try and shoot a roll before you buy it.

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Maybe the first question you'll have to answer is.... SLR or TLR? If cost if the principal consideration, you may want a twin lens.

If you want interchangeable lenses, you'll have more of a selection with a SLR. The cost will be higher, since most lenses will have a shutter.

I hope this helps.

Pete

4. benjikan

benjikan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to have a couple of Yashimat 124 6x6 camera's. Very sharp and fast lens and not very expensive..

Ben

5. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

For TLRs - Yashica are certainly good, especially anything with a Yashinon lens. The old Minolta ones are wonderful too. But don't rule out Ricoh or in fact any number of other companies who turned out TLRs, most are good for the money. Or of course if the Rollei is a good one then it could be worth the extra cost. As Patrice advised, do check the mechanics, but also bear in mind that the cost of servicing these cameras may be quite reasonable so a good camera with a couple of 'issues' could still be worth it if the price is right.

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a good camera. Very similar in quality to the better Yashicamats, and 6x6 folders.

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Are you married to a 6x6 format? I have a Yashica Mat 124 &124G (the G is just for a bit of gold on the meter contacts- and the meter is rudimentary, the 124 has a better film advance gear). The reason I ask is that there are some screaming deals on MF cameras out there. I read about one guy on another forum that had a Mamiya RB system for $350. No, I didn't have $350 to spare.

Anyway, If you are not set on the 6x6, why not blow it out and go full out? It won't cost you that much more to get it developed and you aren't going to be shooting that many frames anyway (you really slow down and think about your shots).

BTW, if you get the rollie and it's in good shape, I'll trade ya. ;)

mike

8. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yashicamat or Minolta Autocord.

9. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yashicamat with Yashinon or even better, with Lumaxar. The latter ones are rare but these lenses were made in Germany by the big "Z" company and later they cooperated in producing SLRs with the same mount.

Also, there are quite a few Bronicas out there in the Flea Bay...

10. Commonman

Commonman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone!

I found a Rolleiflex E2 with a Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 1:3.5/75mm lense and went ahead and bought it. I just got it last night and already shot a roll with it. It appears to work very well but I'll know for sure when I process the roll.

We have a store here that has a special used camera department. They have a full page add in Shutterbug mag. The store is National Camera Exchange. The good thing about buying from them, especially if you live here, is if there is anything wrong they will give you your money back.

So anyway, I've got my 6 x 6 format and I'm happy. If it was not so dang cold, I'd be out right now shooting.

One more thing...it's a pretty old camera...have not determined the date yet so the lense is not perfect. Looking at it by just holding it in your hand, it looks fine. However, If you open the back and open the shutter with the aperature wide open, and hold it up to the light, you can see some specks. I don't know if they are on the outer surface, the inner surface or inbetween...but I don't think they will effect (affect) the quality of the negative. If they do, I'll know pretty soon.

11. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's a step up from the lens that would've been on the Rolleiflex Automat Model 3. You'll find the Xenotar matches the quality of almost any modern medium format lens.

12. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

It should be fine. Congrants on the purchase! A very nice camera.

Pete