Recommend or suggest Flash...

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to get one of those flashes that can be set up as a speed light. I really don't want to go into the store not knowing what I'm talking about.

Are there any other alternatives to the Canon ones?

What features should I look for?

I basically want something I can either hold in my hand for weird flash angles, or set up on a tripod or something when doing portrait stuff?

I looked at the Canon site and found that you can set two or three up at once which would be cool too..?

I'm looking for something that works on my Canon Rebel 300D.

Thanks.

It depends on what you mean by 'speed light'.
Did you have something specific in mind? Or are you looking for a fast recycle time? Or a fast flash rate for use with motor drives?
Nikon do a 'speedlight'.
If you want one that can be held away from the camera then you can do that with all flashes.
Metz make particularly good flash guns. I use the 60CT series as a portable studio.
What is it you want to be able to do with the flash and what do you want to use it for?

Ok, I've done a bit of looking, and I want something like Canons Speedlite 580EX.

Something that has many different functions and I can use it in a studio setting as well as out in clubs and what not.

If there's anything that's equivelant to that, and anyone can suggest something that might be cheaper, that's basically what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

The Canon EX Speedlite flashes will work with your camera. Some of them have Auto Focus Assist...which I saw that you were asking about in another thread.

Dedicated Canon flashes also use the camera's TTL (through the lens) metering.

If you want to have one flash act as a master to other slaved units...The 580ex and older 550ex are the Masters. I think you can then use a 430ex (or the older 420ex) as slaves...or other 580 or 550s as slaves.

I believe that Sigma makes a dedicated flash for Canon...that allow for the use of TTL metering and some other functions. It's cheaper than the 580.

You can use other units that don't use TTL metering. Auto Thyristor flashes have a sensor on the flash that measure the reflected light. Vivitar makes really good ones. I think Metz units are like that, or some of them are.

I've got an old Braun unit that I use with my 20D. It's somewhat limited compared to a dedicated Canon model...but it's powerful and works pretty well.

Most reactions

Back