Recommended lens for food shots?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend is looking for an inexpensive lens to take images of food with her Canon Rebel. These will be posted to an online food blog.Suggestions please?Thanks!

Thanks for all the fine responses.

I don't know Canon lenses.. so I can't really suggest a LENS. Any lens that will cover the subject should do nicely... say a 50mm 1.8 or whatever.... depends on the angle she shoots at, the amount of ambient light (if she isn't using flash), what kind of DOF she wants.. and many other factors...

Lighting is going to be more important than the lens... I prefer flash, with large modifiers... ;)

So you didn't get a response in 4 hours, so instead of bumping the thread, you post a snide remark? Real smooth, bro. FYI, some members don't get responses for 12+ hours. IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

I'd suggest a 100mm f/2.8L Macro for Food Photography. You can get some wide shots (provided there is enough space), as well as some up close and personal detail shots. The other lens I'd look at is an 85mm f/1.8 (or Siggy 85mm f/1.4). Although, Charlie's on the right track when referencing a lot of lights and fat modifiers. That's what your friend really would need. And the knowledge to use them of course (which costs a lot more than the lights themselves)

A 50mm f/1.8 would be absolutely useless IMHO, especially the Canon variant. I'd use a 50mm f/1.4 if I had to, which wouldn't be a BAD lens, but wouldn't be ideal.

50mm compact macro

I have a food blog, and I find myself going to my 50mm macro most often. I don't know about the Canon that was mentioned, I use a Zeiss makro-planar, but I'd say as long as the MFD is where you need it, 50mm is a nice focal length on crop for food. Sometimes I'll shoot at 35 if I want a wider look. I tend to avoid going longer than 50 though, which is totally a subjective personal preference kinda thing. Longer shots are too clean feeling to me when you're trying to make food exciting, the wider perspective is more dramatic.

But yeah, as others have mentioned, decent lights and giant modifiers will be more important than the lens. I'd rather shoot with a kit lens and two lights with big diffusers than my Zeiss and sub-par lighting.

I think a light box would be a good choice to play with and real cheap to do a DIY to play with.

So you didn't get a response in 4 hours, so instead of bumping the thread, you post a snide remark? Real smooth, bro. FYI, some members don't get responses for 12+ hours. IN CASE YOU DIDN'T KNOW.

I'd suggest a 100mm f/2.8L Macro for Food Photography. You can get some wide shots (provided there is enough space), as well as some up close and personal detail shots. The other lens I'd look at is an 85mm f/1.8 (or Siggy 85mm f/1.4). Although, Charlie's on the right track when referencing a lot of lights and fat modifiers. That's what your friend really would need. And the knowledge to use them of course (which costs a lot more than the lights themselves)

A 50mm f/1.8 would be absolutely useless IMHO, especially the Canon variant. I'd use a 50mm f/1.4 if I had to, which wouldn't be a BAD lens, but wouldn't be ideal.

I did say I don't know Canon lenses! I have heard that particular lens is built very cheap.. but I was trying to keep the cost cheap for Bryson's friend. After all, she is shooting a Rebel. I use my Sigma 50mm 1.4 quite a bit when shooting food.. does well!

I was being fascetious. Chill bro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back