reflector as a diffuser?

thereforeiamx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
marieeisley.carbonmade.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, a quick question: I was reading "Exposure and Lighting" just now - more specifically chapter 10 about natural light. All I have on hand is a white reflector and in the book, they said that reflectors may be used to fill shadows. I was wondering if it can also be used as a hard light diffuser? The book wasn't so specific!

:p

Hi, a quick question: I was reading "Exposure and Lighting" just now - more specifically chapter 10 about natural light. All I have on hand is a white reflector and in the book, they said that reflectors may be used to fill shadows. I was wondering if it can also be used as a hard light diffuser? The book wasn't so specific!

:p
Only if the reflector will let light through it, which makes it a poor reflector.

One of the benefits of having a 5-in-1 reflector is that by taking off the outer covering that has the 4 colors (silver/gold/white/black), what is inside is #5, a diffuser.

somehow, i can't manage to find the diffuser, that's being spoken about, on the b&h site. i've been trying to. :( not sure if i've seen one of these things.

Many time a diffuser of larger sizes will be called a scrim, so if you search for "scrim" on B&H or Adorama's site, you'll find it under the light modifier category. Another name is "panel". A panel is often made of PVC pipe tubes, and it has fabrics fitted to it with elastic corners. There are several companies that make really nice panels or scrims, like Calumet, California Sunbounce, and Wescott. A person can also make his or her very own panels, and the fabrics are also relatively easy to make and fit with elastics.

What the big makers offer is grip equipment to help hold and position/angle the panels. I think you'll find that square or rectangular panels work quite well,and reflect or diffuse more for a give size because there is simply more surface area in a 48 inch across rectangle than in a circular reflector of the same diameter. Some of the clamps designed to hold panels in place are VERY handy things to own!!!

Square and rectangular panels can easily be clipped together, to make free-standing diffusers/reflectors/flags/V-cards that need no light stands to stand up...that's anothe r major advantage of square or rectangular panels.

Many time a diffuser of larger sizes will be called a scrim, so if you search for "scrim" on B&H or Adorama's site, you'll find it under the light modifier category. Another name is "panel". A panel is often made of PVC pipe tubes, and it has fabrics fitted to it with elastic corners. There are several companies that make really nice panels or scrims, like Calumet, California Sunbounce, and Wescott. A person can also make his or her very own panels, and the fabrics are also relatively easy to make and fit with elastics.

What the big makers offer is grip equipment to help hold and position/angle the panels. I think you'll find that square or rectangular panels work quite well,and reflect or diffuse...

Are you talking about these? Savage | ProScrim System Frame, Small - 3.25 x 3.25' | SF100

see, is "reflect" and "diffuse" supposed to be interchangeable? Why does the site sometimes refer to a reflector as something that diffuses light and a scrim as also something that reflects? I'm so confused. Can we go over what the characteristics of a reflector as opposed to a diffuser?

What the big makers offer is grip equipment to help hold and position/angle the panels. I think you'll find that square or rectangular panels work quite well,and reflect or diffuse...

Are you talking about these? Savage | ProScrim System Frame, Small - 3.25 x 3.25' | SF100

see, is "reflect" and "diffuse" supposed to be interchangeable? Why does the site sometimes refer to a reflector as something that diffuses light and a scrim as also something that reflects? I'm so confused. Can we go over what the characteristics of a reflector as opposed to a diffuser?

A good reflector doesn't let any light go throught it.

A good diffuser reflects some light but mostly lets light through.

If you research scrims you''ll learn that they make them so they will pass varying amounts of light.

Yes, the Savage brand is one of several. The Photoflex frames on this page Photoflex | 39x72" Lite Panel Frame - PVC | LP-B3972FR

are a good example; they have fabrics for sale on the page, like the white/soft gold combo fabric, and the black/white combo.To use it as a diffuser, a white translucent fabric would be fitted to the frame. The connector clips sold there allow joining multiple panels, while the Main and T-Clamp is useful for positioning the panel between light stands,and for getting a precise angle on the panel.

Most reactions

Back