Refurbished DSLRs

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bentcountershaft, Nov 10, 2009.

1. bentcountershaft

bentcountershaft Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Being new to all of this I'm seriously considering going the refurb route when I'm ready to buy my first dslr but I have a few questions: Are these refurbs done "in house" by the shops that sell them, or are there factory authorized refurbs available? Are there any sources you would recommend or perhaps more important would not recommend? What should I look out for as a warning sign that I may not be getting the deal I'm hoping for?

I haven't decided on a model yet, or even a brand for that matter. I'm leaning toward Canon but I haven't ruled out Nikon by any means so any information any of you have regarding online sources you trust in these matters would be appreciated. Also, if this is a forum no-no discussing pros and cons of potential advertisers here I apologize and can certainly understand that. Thanks

2. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can get factory refurbs. I know if you buy Canon (and perhaps Nikon) refurbs from Adorama or B&H they are done by Canon themselves, not some 3rd party. They come packaged as if they were new. The box is different (plain white) but it's otherwise packaged like a new camera and they are absolutely flawless. You couldn't tell a factory refurb from a brand new one.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I have 3 Nikon Refurbs. I tend to buy the first body brand new. I then useually buy a 2nd body that is refurbished. Being doing this for about 6 -7 years now. The nikons come in a Nikon labeled box that say refurbished right on it. The only noticeable difference is the waranty card. 30 days vs. 1 years for full product. The oldest refurbished body I have is 6 years old or so and still works just fine.

There are so many refurbished Nikons I kinda think they are really grey market new ones in refurbished boxes. No proff on that, but there seems to be alot of them! Kinda a way for Nikon USA to offer new cameras at a lower rate to go against self imported grey market stuff ??? :confused: Just a hunch.

4. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    double tap

5. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mine had a refurb sticker on the battery cover, and on the normal box. It looked new to me though and I haven't had any issues.

6. bentcountershaft

bentcountershaft Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies, I feel better about the idea already.

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The only variable is the warranty period and who is offering the warranty. Nikon usually only offers a 90 day warranty on their refurbished gear. Often the seller will add their own warranty for another 9 months.

Nikon's official refurbished outlet is www.cametaphoto.com

8. FmrVette

FmrVette TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bought a refurbed lens from B&H, was refurbed by Nikon factory, came with 90 warranty, looks and operates like brand new.