Refurbished DSLRs

bentcountershaft

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Being new to all of this I'm seriously considering going the refurb route when I'm ready to buy my first dslr but I have a few questions: Are these refurbs done "in house" by the shops that sell them, or are there factory authorized refurbs available? Are there any sources you would recommend or perhaps more important would not recommend? What should I look out for as a warning sign that I may not be getting the deal I'm hoping for?

I haven't decided on a model yet, or even a brand for that matter. I'm leaning toward Canon but I haven't ruled out Nikon by any means so any information any of you have regarding online sources you trust in these matters would be appreciated. Also, if this is a forum no-no discussing pros and cons of potential advertisers here I apologize and can certainly understand that. Thanks

You can get factory refurbs. I know if you buy Canon (and perhaps Nikon) refurbs from Adorama or B&H they are done by Canon themselves, not some 3rd party. They come packaged as if they were new. The box is different (plain white) but it's otherwise packaged like a new camera and they are absolutely flawless. You couldn't tell a factory refurb from a brand new one.

I have 3 Nikon Refurbs. I tend to buy the first body brand new. I then useually buy a 2nd body that is refurbished. Being doing this for about 6 -7 years now. The nikons come in a Nikon labeled box that say refurbished right on it. The only noticeable difference is the waranty card. 30 days vs. 1 years for full product. The oldest refurbished body I have is 6 years old or so and still works just fine.

There are so many refurbished Nikons I kinda think they are really grey market new ones in refurbished boxes. No proff on that, but there seems to be alot of them! Kinda a way for Nikon USA to offer new cameras at a lower rate to go against self imported grey market stuff ??? :confused: Just a hunch.

You can get factory refurbs. I know if you buy Canon (and perhaps Nikon) refurbs from Adorama or B&H they are done by Canon themselves, not some 3rd party. They come packaged as if they were new. The box is different (plain white) but it's otherwise packaged like a new camera and they are absolutely flawless. You couldn't tell a factory refurb from a brand new one.

Mine had a refurb sticker on the battery cover, and on the normal box. It looked new to me though and I haven't had any issues.

The only variable is the warranty period and who is offering the warranty. Nikon usually only offers a 90 day warranty on their refurbished gear. Often the seller will add their own warranty for another 9 months.

Nikon's official refurbished outlet is www.cametaphoto.com

I bought a refurbed lens from B&H, was refurbed by Nikon factory, came with 90 warranty, looks and operates like brand new.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back