Refurbished?

Ramones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never had any problems with refurbs, and Adorama can be trusted. Many refurbs are returns because someone changed their mind and not because they were faulty. You can also buy a 3rd party warranty for very little money.

so long as it has a warranty it should be fine. couldnt tell you about it going out of stock, but with as prevalent as the D40 is I doubt there will be a shortage.

Ramones: I bought my D40 refurbed from B&H a year and a half ago, it still works perfectly. I'd almost trust a refurb moreso because you know that it went through a thorough inspection all around before being sold, with everything (if anything at all) getting professionally repaired if need be.

Whereas if you buy a brand new one, it most likely wasn't quality tested. From what I understand of manufacture, they usually just take one sample per batch and inspect it.

Before you buy, just know that the D40 won't autofocus with lenses that aren't AF-S or AF-I. That's the one thing I wish I knew how much of a pain it could be when I bought it. You can always manual focus but because of the lack of focusing motor in the body, you have to get lenses with motors in them, which aren't quite as varied and cost a little more.

Don't get me wrong, though, it's a great camera!

Ramones: I bought my D40 refurbed from B&H a year and a half ago, it still works perfectly. I'd almost trust a refurb moreso because you know that it went through a thorough inspection all around before being sold, with everything (if anything at all) getting professionally repaired if need be.

Whereas if you buy a brand new one, it most likely wasn't quality tested. From what I understand of manufacture, they usually just take one sample per batch and inspect it.

Before you buy, just know that the D40 won't autofocus with lenses that aren't AF-S or AF-I. That's the one thing I wish I knew how much of a pain it could be when I bought it. You can always manual focus but because of the lack of focusing motor in the body, you have to get lenses with motors in them, which aren't quite as varied and cost a little more.

Don't get me wrong, though, it's a great camera!

Thanks a lot! I generally buy refurbished computer parts for the same reason, just wasn't sure if it was the same with cameras.

I've researched the D40 a lot, I understand the whole AF-S thing, I have a feeling I'm only going to want to buy something like a 50mm prime lens or a macro lens in addition to the kit lens.

I have no problem buying refurb from Adorama.

In some ways, it is even be better then new because you know someone has touched to make sure it's in saleable/useable condition :)

That's my next buy; a prime lens. I have the 18-55 3.5 kit, and the 55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6 and an old manual focus 70-135 (I think, don't use it often).

There's a thread in the general area dedicated to pics taken with the D40, check it out.

My refurbed d700 just arrived from adorama--it look brand new, the exif data has only a couple hundred shots on it.

It comes with a 90 day nikon warranty, that should give you more then enough time to find any faults.

Most reactions

Back