Foques

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.foquesphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello guys.
I know i'm not much of a frequent poster, but am a constant reader..
I've learned a whole lot over the span of last two months i've been on here.. and it actually is amazing how much better my shots have become.

Oddly enough, I had some offers for the few shots I made.

I would like to start putting signatures in my pictures. I was using AM photography signature (AM my initials), however short google search showed that someone is already using that name.

The reason why I want to stick with that name or a similar name is because my lady (whom i certainly hope to make my wife in the future) has same initials and is an artist. She is learning airbrushing, and does wonders with just a pencil or a sharpie..

all in all, even if my photography hobby will stay as a free hobby, we'll have a name that unites us.

That being said, how would i register or copyright(?) the name?

Can I do it online? if so, where?
What is required of me to have a name registered?
thank you very much!

Well your getting into some dicey territory trying to copyright it after many have started using it. The Domain name with the .com is already registered why would you want a name someone else already uses would just create an issue. And if they can prove they were using it before you even if you did copyright the name you would more than likely lose any court action. Your call, it might be what you want to use but some woman owns the .com name and some Aussie owns the .com.au and the .net, .org are owned also. I just don't know why you would want a name that already has a number of users. Then want to copyright it, you should really come up with another name. Try things like AMphotographers, AMPhoto, play around and see what is least used.If you are planning to use it for a business you want a unique name, never use something that is as common as that, your just shooting yourself in the foot. And to own a name outright it needs to be a registered trademark, this is a lot of legal things but the best way is find a name and register the domain. Copyrighting a common term is legally dicey at best. Just my take I am by no means a lawyer.

I apologize my original post wasn't too clear.. I forgot to mention that we were thinking about alternate name.
We were thinking of registering name AM imaging.
I couldn't find any business with that name.
I won't be going as far as a web site just yet cause we both are learning and working with people who are referred to us.
Once we get closer to a full professional level, then i'll be looking for a web site. For now, I am just looking to register a business name (is that what it would be?) so nobody else could use it.

It's likely that you would need to register with your local government...on what level, I don't know. I'm sure a call to your local city hall or state/provincial office will point you in the right direction.

Thank you for your response, Mike.
I do know that I have to register locally.

Say, I registered the name here locally, does it stop anyone from using that same name in, say, Florida?

I don't know...and it's probably different in different areas, so that's why I suggest talking to someone in your local government.

Even if you decide on a name, it is cheap to grab the domain name and that way you have it. For the few dollars is it worth it. Unless you plan on collecting taxes or writing any income off against your taxes registering is not something you need to do. My two Photography companies are Federally Incorporated businesses and you really don't need the headaches lol, it just allows them to be separate entities from me. Registering a name usually allows you to collect taxes and write off expenses against the business. So if your really interested go to your State or Provincial Government website and more than likely you will find the info there. Most business issues are at those level of Government. I never start with Local, I find they are usually the most clueless out of the levels of Government.

PS:No it won't. You will need to Federally Register the Company or you will have to Trademark it and it can be expensive and very time consuming process. And unless your legally savvy you will need an attorney for either or both of those processes to make sure they are done right. The only real way to protect a name is to get a Trademark on it.

ok.. so i'm checking right now..
The AM Imaging name is copyrighted.. however, AM photography is not..

I am so confused >_<

So, I can have a logo that is not a trademark, however it wills till force people to recognize the rights?

I tried and explained it best I could, cdanddvdpublisher makes a good point, you need to get more area specific information. It is not something your going to much more info then I have posted. I assume you are American, so you need to get American and State specific laws. It is legal issue so talk to your state, federal governments, business association, trade make lawyer, etc. I have an opinion about copyrighted names but I don't want to give you an opinion based on my interpretation of the law.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back