Remove graininess from the background?

Gerardo_G

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have PhotoShop CS6. I wish to remove the graniness of only the background from this picture so it looks smooth instead, but only the background. Can you please explain to me how can I do it?

1984738-Work2.jpg

Thanks in advance :).

Duplicate your layer and perform a noise reduction filter on one of the layers. Then use a layer mask on the top layer to keep the foreground from the unmodified layer and the background from the modified layer.

Or make a selection for the background and then run a noise reduction with the background selected to have it apply only to that area. But the other approach is better since you can find tune what is noise reduced and what is not after the fact.

There are several ways that can be done.
You can use the Camera Raw filter and the Adjustment brush.
You can use an appropriate selection tool and select what you don't want to alter (the foreground portion of the scene), refine the selection as needed (Refine Edge), invert the selection, and then use noise reduction on the inverted selection - the background.

Awesome guys! That helps a lot :).

Now, I came to a bigger problem but since it isn't related to the title of this thread, I think it's best to open a new thread. I hope you guys can help me once again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back