Remove Reflections from Granite Slab HOW?

braque

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I am taking Granite Slab photos last 3 years.

I have a problem with reflections I still searching answer for that.

If you taking slab photos light colors are ( like white yellow red slabs) okay, but if it is dark color granite slab( like black brown dark blue), they like a mirror.

They reflect everything. If white background behind you, you can see it, also if you wear white shirt you can see it on that slab.

I bought a Hoya Pro1 Digital circular PL, but I seems not helping me.

I have a Nikon D300 with Tokina SD12-24

Please check this link, you will see granite slab photo with reflection on it. I need to remove that reflection on during taking photography.

What kind of equipment I should use?

www.3dplusmore.com/granite-slab.html

Pay close attention to the direction that you're lighting the subject from. Try lighting from the side. The light sources in your images are pretty much perpendicular to the length of the slabs. Turn those off, then do everything you can to reduce the contrast of yourself and the camera (i.e. wear black and use a black background behind you). That on top of a CPL should help matters.

Biggest problem is, every slab located different place.

Sometimes I am preparing stage for photography. Like black shirt + Black background, Good lightning.

Sometimes I don’t have those options. That reason I am asking is there any way to make it.

Of course I am using Photoshop for after editing, but editing all those photos not easy work, also is you are working with specific texture.

What kind of equipment I should use?

Polarizing Filter

Reading > You

He's already using a CP filter. As already said, play around with the direction of your light and the direction of your shooting.

If all else fails, you could buy a $15 black sheet from Walmart and hang that in the area that's being reflected from (behind you or off to the side). Shoot from a slight side angle instead of head one.

You could also shoot from slightly above the granite, shooting down. This would make the ground (concrete?) be the reflection which should be uniform enough to not be as visible.

Book recommendation:

Light: Science and Magic. An Introduction to Photographic Lighting

By Fil Hunter, Steve Biver, and Paul Faqua

A polarizer will only help when certain conditions are met. The reflection must be a somewhere near a 45 degree angle. When you shoot directly into the surface a polarizer will be of little or no help.

The only practical fix is to take control of the environment. Arrange the shooting site so that there is absolutely nothing that is not a deep black on the camera side of the slab within the range where the reflections are coming from. Hang a black fabric drape behind the camera, use a black tripod, a black camera, and either where black or use a remote release and stand way to the side.

So maybe just something to put between the granite block and the light, like a softbox or lighting that isn't so head on? I think polarizers allow light to come in from straight in front of it. So these shadows aren't getting blocked cause they're basically going straight out from the flash and right back into the lens. But other people already said that, so +1

Edited to add, those granite blocks are AMAZING looking. I would never pay 4 digits for a counter top, but I can see why someone would!

Last edited:
Crop the good and ditch the rest...Why do you need a photo of the whole slab of granite hanging from the lift?

have a good one
3Eo

Thank you for all help I think there is no way to get better slab photos.

We are taking these photos for catalog. We have lots of customers, that means lots of warehouse & light change.

Slabs are not easy to move at one place. That reasons every slab getting different lighting.

We can’t use soft box or other things because of warehouse are too big to move stuff around.

We used black color background but that needs to be really big to cover slab area. High ceiling and lots of spot light giving really big problem.

If we are luck I am trying to find best spot of warehouse than move all dark color slabs same place.

Other than else any ideas let me know thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back