Replace the batteries or the light meter?

LAW2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I picked up an old Gossen Luna-Pro, but the batteries are dead. It takes mercury batteries which are no longer available. They sell a kit for $4o to convert it to a new battery standard. My question is is this meter worth keeping and paying to get new batteries or should I invest in a new or newer version? Thanks

You can buy mercury batteries in Canada. I would assume a Canadian reseller might have them on Ebay.

mercury batteries are extreamly bad for the environment and toxic. Thats why they dont make them. so unless you like killing the environment, i would suggest you convert the light meter or buy a new one.
As far as that goes, i dont know how good that light meter is, so maybe look it up on google or something, see if you can find specs on it and if its a decent light meter, spend the money, but if its not get a new one

You can get a much better light meter for 40 or 50 bucks on ebay. Don't waste your time with it.

fightheheathens said:
mercury batteries are extreamly bad for the environment and toxic. Thats why they dont make them. so unless you like killing the environment, i would suggest you convert the light meter or buy a new one.
I just love it how the manufacture of batteries is banned, but proper disposal of fluorescent lights doesn't even exist. The mercury is just as toxic in either one of them!

DocFrankenstein said:
I just love it how the manufacture of batteries is banned, but proper disposal of fluorescent lights doesn't even exist. The mercury is just as toxic in either one of them!

Actually not to go off on an unrelated topic here the proper disposal/recycling of flourescent bulbs is a requirement in all of the residential facilities I have worked at. The capabilities exist to recycle them privately also but most people just don't bother to do it.

Apparently there is more political gain from banning batteries than flourescent tubes.

JIP said:
Actually not to go off on an unrelated topic here the proper disposal/recycling of flourescent bulbs is a requirement in all of the residential facilities I have worked at. The capabilities exist to recycle them privately also but most people just don't bother to do it.
not in canada.

Good to know the states are doing something about it. I've seen kids 3 weeks ago playing around breaking them.

Side note;

An alternative solution to the battery problem is the Wein zinc-air battery. These are direct replacements for the old mercury cells. Available from the large photo houses such as B&H, they have two drawbacks: limited life and higher price.

And yes, I've used them and they do work well. My meter read 'on the nose.'

If you really like the light meter, then buy the kit to convert it. If you're not that attached to it, but a new one. Both will probably cost you the same.

Torus34 said:
An alternative solution to the battery problem is the Wein zinc-air battery. These are direct replacements for the old mercury cells. Available from the large photo houses such as B&H, they have two drawbacks: limited life and higher price.

I think I am going to go this route, as it is the most cost effective at only $9.00. Hopefully the meter still works.

Thanks to all

Most reactions

New Topics

Back