Replacing a 18-200 lens

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been the happy owner of a Nikkor 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 VR lens for a couple of years now. The range is amazing, the VR is of much help in low-light situations, and I don't need to change lenses and clean the sensor every other week.

Problem is, I want a lens that's sharper and faster... with the convenience/advantages of the 18-200 listed above.

What alternatives do I have? Budget would be $1,000 (part of which would come from the sale of the 18-200).

Thanks for the help.

Thanks, kundalini.

My mistake for not being more clear. I want to still cover the same range (18-200). It can be with just one lens (can't think of one better than the one I have) or with two. If it's two, the one covering the 18-xx range should be as long as possible, as it would be the one staying on the camera the most.

Then get the 18-55 VR and the 55-200 VR. Both cover the same range and are incredible little lenses for being budget glass.

^^ must agree with Kegger. I have both myself and both are what they are. Sharp as long as there is plenty of light. The 55-200mm does have VR which helps. The down side is the apertures, but the prices are the upside. Also Nikkor 18-135 (yes, kit lens) is another option.

If you want to keep the same range, but faster and sharper glass, To stay with nikon, you will be looking around $3500.00 for the 24-70 F 2.8 and 70-200 F2.8

You are not going to find superior quality in the same focal lengths anywhere. If you want better performance/quality, you will first need to split the range amongst 2 lenses that are superior in specification and end results.

If Nikkor, the 17-55 and the 70-200 VR are the suggested lenses. Both are fast at F/2.8 and well known for pro level results.

You're asking for a lens that doesn't -- and can't -- exist. By all accounts, the Nikon 18-200VR is the best DX superzoom you will find. The Tamrons and Sigmas don't stack up in quality or speed (they're both f/3.5 - 6.3).

Camera lenses, especially these superzoom ones, are a balance of price, performance, quality and convenience.

If quality was of utmost importance at the expense of all other factors, you could carry around a bag of primes if you really wanted to. And, hey, if you were strictly a landscape photographer, you probably could!

If you want more quality, you're going to have to sacrifice one or more of the other factors, one being convenience, another being price if you want significantly better quality.

Your budget need at least another 1000$ in ti to start sniffing that range at a better quality, and that would be used price.

MIGHT could go with an 70-200 sigma or tamron and a 17-50 sigma/tamron lens at f2.8

I own the 18-55 VR, the 55-200 VR and the 18-200 VR (as well as a bunch of other lenses including the 70-200 VR), and I can tell you that your picture quality would be much better with the combo of the 18-55 VR and the 55-200 VR. MUCH better.

Yes, the are both cheap plastic "consumerish" lenses, but they also are excellent little lenses... providing better IQ than the 18-55.

In daylight, the cheap 55-200 VR is every bit as sharp (if not a bit sharper) than the 70-200 VR which costs $1500 more... and it weighs three pounds less... of course, in lower light (and in build quality, and speed, and just about everything else imaginable ) the 70-200 is a VASTLY superior lens... still the little 55-200 VR is a STEAL of a lens.

I'm in the same situation... this is why I'm sticking with my 18-200mm VR... you really can't touch the range in any type of quality, I'd rather have a little less quality than missing the shot all together because I was trying to switch back to my 18-55mm

if you could save up a little more I'd get the old nikon series pro zoom USED....

28-70 2.8

80-200 2.8

you can pick up both used for about $1400... super sharp... tank standard build..

lenses that will last you 20 years or more..

And make your back go out in 5 years :lol:

Not if ur using the lenses with the Nikkor 54z back harness. Or alternatively, the Nikkor 60a wheel chair with convertible arm rest swing arm tripod mount.

You're going to need two lenses to cover that range. For your budget I'd recommend:

Sigma 18-50mm f2.8
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Don't fret the gap between 70 and 50mm, you won't miss it.

If you buy both of these lenses new, it will go a little over your budget--about $1300. But you may be able to find some gently used copies for a discount and stay under $1000.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back