Replacing Photos With Links

Buck - new user title - mod trainer!

For the record I typically use this method - removing the IMG tags and adding URL ones. It's less common now though as the galleries are open access so more people (least in my experience) tend to throw photos up onto the gallery first. I do dislike having to remove them, but (barring light application of the rule on "meme" style photos in the off-topic section) its a rule we have to enforce and keep up with.

Thankfully most respond to the ruling well as the come to understand the reasons behind it.

I have a couple of thoughts.

First, I just went looking for the rules about posting photos to the forums, and it took me about 15 minutes to find something applicable. I figured the rules would either be posted on the home page or in one of the gallery forums (most likely the general gallery), but I didn't have any luck. I also couldn't find anything in any of the introduction-type forums, but did eventually find it in the Photographic Discussions sub forum. I think it would be more helpful to post a sticky thread in the general gallery forum if you want new members to read the rules before posting images.

Second, I'm not sure that simply replacing the img tags with url tags satisfies the purpose of the forum's rules. This will create a link that simply displays the photo instead of the website the photograph came from. I think this forum should encourage sharing other photographers' work in a way that gives them credit and leads people to the rest of their work.

One or two of our FAQ documents did go missing during website updates (and because its something we don't look at every day we missed it for a while) It's something we are looking into getting replaced and fixed up.

In the interests of practicality the link to a photograph itself when hosted off-site already has the address of the site in the photos address bar. In theory that means anyone with any interest can follow that back to the creators site. The downside of your proposition is that it would require two links - one to the site and one to the photo itself. This is something we could look to encouraging, though I'm not sure if its a practical element to make as a ruling on the site.

In the interests of practicality the link to a photograph itself when hosted off-site already has the address of the site in the photos address bar. In theory that means anyone with any interest can follow that back to the creators site.
That seems like enough.

Most reactions

Back