Reversed Lens or Super Macro

Awesome Pix's!!

I have an Olympus IS-50 - but the lens is all in one barrel. Don't know if I can get good pictures like this until I get my next camera (which I think is going to be the Nikon 75 or 80).

Anyway - keep posting!!! Very Very Cool!!!

My first attempts at this...
A stamp
Stamp.jpg

A tear in a window screen
screen.jpg

I'm wondering what the best type of lens is for this shot. My 50mm nikon did well but looked more like a 25mm macro lens. So far my best shots have come with a 35-70mm lens with the zoom set at 70. Interestingly enough my 70-150 lens didn't go anywhere near as close.

So what is the secret lens wise?

Garbz said:
I'm wondering what the best type of lens is for this shot. My 50mm nikon did well but looked more like a 25mm macro lens. So far my best shots have come with a 35-70mm lens with the zoom set at 70. Interestingly enough my 70-150 lens didn't go anywhere near as close.

So what is the secret lens wise?

From the ones I've messed with, I think it's better to have a nice zoom lens working correctly. For the turned around one, I use a fixed 50mm lens but I have looked through a 28mm lens and it seemed to be more of a super macro. I think the one that is backwards gets more magnification the smaller focal length it has.

There's probably a really good reason why and I'll feel like an idiot not putting it together sooner but I speak laymans. :D

Do these things require special equppment? I've read the tips that have been posted but when I do it with my camera, it's just pretty dars in the view finder... Is a digital camera needed? Or any kind of lens? I have a simple Nikon N50 with a Sigma 35-80 lens...

Axel said:
Do these things require special equppment? I've read the tips that have been posted but when I do it with my camera, it's just pretty dars in the view finder... Is a digital camera needed? Or any kind of lens? I have a simple Nikon N50 with a Sigma 35-80 lens...

Not as long as you have another lens to turn backwards, like on the tutorial. You also have to get pretty close to what you're trying to take a picture of. Usually within 1/2 inch (~1cm) away.

hobbes28 said:
Axel said:

Not as long as you have another lens to turn backwards, like on the tutorial. You also have to get pretty close to what you're trying to take a picture of. Usually within 1/2 inch (~1cm) away.

Call me stupid, but I thought I just had to reverse the lens without any other lens... :oops:

Thanks anyway!

Axel said:
hobbes28 said:
Axel said:

Call me stupid, but I thought I just had to reverse the lens without any other lens... :oops:

Thanks anyway!

You can do that too. It just doesn't give you as extreme of a close up as having two lenses and you don't have to get as close to focus.

I have a question for ya..........

I have a canon slr.........the lenses are all auto, how can I do the aperture fully open on the reversed lens if it's an auto lens? Is there a way to do that? That is why I am having so much trouble doing this I think, cause when I look through the reversed lens I am getting a very small angle of view, I can't zoom through it.............

CrazyAva said:
I have a question for ya..........

I have a canon slr.........the lenses are all auto, how can I do the aperture fully open on the reversed lens if it's an auto lens? Is there a way to do that? That is why I am having so much trouble doing this I think, cause when I look through the reversed lens I am getting a very small angle of view, I can't zoom through it.............

Usually, the fully automatic lenses stay at full aperture when not attached to the camera. Any time you do this, the depth of focus is only around 1/64 of an inch. You just have to move the camera in and out to find the best focus. Also, you can aim more straight on so the entire surface of what you're shooting will be in the same plane. I hope this answers your question.

hobbes28 said:
You can do that too. It just doesn't give you as extreme of a close up as having two lenses and you don't have to get as close to focus.

I have tried but can hardly see anything thru the viewfinder! It's very, very dark! And I also wonder if I am supposed to see how it magnifies or if that is just the result of the picture once developed...

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back