RF 602, YN 460 and SB-800 issues

King-Nothing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a lot of trouble getting my Yongnuo RF-602`s to co-operate with my Yongnuo YN 460 flashes and my Nikon SB-800 flash.

The oldest part is the SB-800 which is about one year old, all the other stuff is about 1-3 months old. So all of these should be working 100%, and they are, whenever they want to.

Is there a spesific order to do this when connecting and turning it on? Like; attach the receiver, turn it on and the turn on the flash?

I can try to get this working nine times, and the 10th time it works.

What am I doing wrong here?

Hard to tell with so little information.

What mode do you have the SB-800 set to? It has to be in full manual, not SU-4 or Slave modes.

The transmitter and all receivers need to be on the same channel.

I always put the receiver on the speedlight shoe BEFORE I power up the speedlight. That's just to prevent the possiblity of a static discharge frying anything. Once the receiver is on the speedlight it doesn't matter which is powered up first.

It sounds like it could be that the battery in the transmitter is getting low.

Here`s some more info:

SB-800 is set to manual.

Only using channel 1 for this.

The transmitters got new batteries one week ago, so they should be ok. :)

Thanks for your reply!

So the channel selector has 2 switches, meaning there are 4 channels to choose from?

Try each of the other 3 channels. The chinese triggers tend be tuned best for 1 of the 4.

How far are the receivers from the transmitter? I'm guessing they are closer than 10 feet?

Yes, there are four channels. Haven`t tried the three others yet. :D

The distance is only about 1m. Have just tried it indoor.

Do you think the small distance can be a problem?

The distance is only about 1m. Have just tried it indoor.
Put a general location, here on planet Earth, in your profile so we know what units of measurement to use when we communicate with you. :lol:

I'm one of a few Americans trained in use of the metric system, so you're in luck, I know how long a meter is, 100 cm! Right? ;)

Back to answers! Really how far apart are the receivers? They can interfere with each other. The simple Cactus triggers I had used a while ago would not fire if two flashes were right next to each other regardless of where our camera (the transmitter) was located (we were trying to get more power than one could provide).

Also what's not working. Are all flashes not firing? Are some flashes not firing? Are random flashes firing? What's not working?

Most reactions

Back