Rock Revisit

sojourn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I tried to improve my ability to take pictures of some rock formations I like a lot.

I find it a challenge to snap an image that really shows how interesting and colorful these rocks are, but I think I am getting the hang of it.

I tried to take pictures of water flowing over rocks today, but I didn't want to cart my tripod all over, so I couldn't try slow shutter speeds successfully.

1. A well placed grass plant sits in a comfy moss covered rock couch:

4482656535_f66701dc2e.jpg

2. Widowmaker, all that rock held up by that small stone:

4482656543_06a135849e.jpg

3. A macro of a wildflower we locals affectionately call 'Blue Dicks' :lol: (Dichelostemma congestum)

4482656531_091be9aca0.jpg

4. A lone Ponderosa and a natural pavement of stone:

4482656545_4b1b4aaa67.jpg

Sojourn
I love this shot. My ex wife does not live far from you. Maybe you can show her this spot, invite her to sit for some tea...:mrgreen:

I really do love the shot.
4482656543_06a135849e.jpg

The first shot looks like it was taken while the sun was fairly high in the sky...hard lighting.
I love the concept of the grass in the couch . Did you try any other angles of this shot?

Sojourn
I love this shot. My ex wife does not live far from you. Maybe you can show her this spot, invite her to sit for some tea...:mrgreen:

I am going to keep my little spot secret. It would not do well with frequent visitors. And, you are either very brave or incredibly foolish for considering such a meeting. :lol: Not sure which applies.

I really do love the shot.

Many thanks...if ever an image 'told a tale' that one does.

The first shot looks like it was taken while the sun was fairly high in the sky...hard lighting.
I love the concept of the grass in the couch . Did you try any other angles of this shot?

No, that was taken just after the sun was high enough to bring the rock out of the shade.

All photos were taken between 11 and 1pm. The clouds would just not cooperate for an earlier shoot, and as it was, some of the best rock formations face west and were in shade. I couldn't get back there later to take advantage of the evening sun.

I have a very old cemetery close by and I wanted to shoot there, today, as well, but I have lots of chores to do. If the weather permits I will get out again tomorrow.

Here is a formation that was in shade, when I lighten it up the background is totally blown out...still, it is interesting:

4483403094_4d1a5f6335.jpg

I really like your photographs, sojourn. I've seen 4 or 5 of your posts now and I usually find them to be composed well and 'calming.'

#4 makes me want to go outside and explore and 1 and 3 have very nice simplistic beauty. #2 is just cool, I like the title too - reminds me of all the huge icicles I tried to avoid this winter, so scary.

I really like your photographs, sojourn. I've seen 4 or 5 of your posts now and I usually find them to be composed well and 'calming.'

#4 makes me want to go outside and explore and 1 and 3 have very nice simplistic beauty. #2 is just cool, I like the title too - reminds me of all the huge icicles I tried to avoid this winter, so scary.

It pleases me well that you find my compositions done well! I've changed a lot at how I take photos since arriving here.

I had to climb under a 'widowmaker' log today...something my dad always told me to avoid, but over it was a mess of stinky wood ants and poison oak!

While this photo shows bad lighting, inadequate lens and subject a bit too far away, there is something special about a bald eagle soaring right over your head. It makes a spring hike complete:

4483394934_9d5afb8db6.jpg

While this photo shows bad lighting, inadequate lens and subject a bit too far away,

Don't feel bad, that's not even a bad picture.

Look at this golden opportunity I blew, a bald eagle eating a red-tailed hawk here in Ohio.. Yeah probably won't get this chance again.

Shortly after taking some TERRIBLE pictures I tried to get closer, scared him away and missed the focus on him/her while flying.

wildeagle1.jpg

sojourn said:
All right, I tried two things. One was using the background from the original photo, another was using a different photo as bokeh background. Which do you prefer?

4484481774_0dc755b51d.jpg

4484481256_d4df18d76e.jpg
They're both good, but #2 has more visual appeal for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back