Roman columns

noob873

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
forum2copy.jpg

I like the mood of this.

Is there anything specific you wanted an opinion on?

Im going to 'critique' your pic :)

I love the sky, its awesome looking, maybe blown out in the bottom right corner-but its hardly noticeable. The clouds have a sense of movement which I always think brings the picture alive.

There is lots of detail in the coloumns, they seem huge and over towering, so size perception is great.

A couple of thoughts for you. Firstly I'd like to see a little more of the base of the column structure - it feels a little cramped at the moment. Secondly, an important part of the importance of the columns is what's written across the top of them - I'm guessing that a bit of a boost in contrast across that part or some burning/dodging would bring that out more and make it a little more readable.

The first line reads "The Senate and the People of Rome", I'm having difficulty picking out the rest though.

To me, the words aren't as important as the general mood of this picture. I love it. I love that it's slightly askew. I love the angle. The comp, and the lines.

Only nitpick is I'd burn that right corner some.

Given the colour of the sky and Rome's history (Nero anyone?), I'd suggest that the words very much compliment the mood being set. I'm bit of a classical history buff on the quiet, so it perhaps has more of a resonance for me though.

Definitly if the words had more emphais, I can see how it would change the picture dramatically.. now that I think of it.

I like it as is, but your right, the words would change it dramatically if they were emphasized.

In general, I really like the shot. Very cool. Love the colors and the light.

Some things I might do:

1. Either move a bit to the right to take the pic (not that you can go back), or use something like ptlens to adjust the perspective so it LOOKS like you were a bit to the right. It's SUCH a symmetrical thing that the aspect of the shot having been taken to the left a bit seems to take away from it a little.

2. Sharpen it just a hair. This would bring out that text a bit and bring out some really nice details in the textures.

I like all these suggestions, I can see how if the words were legible it would greatly add to it, I'll see if I can fix this.

Most reactions

Back