Rose (Fourth Time's A Charm? Maybe?)

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so, this is the final night this rose shall be useful, it's near dry...which, maybe, actually, could be pretty interesting of a shot with some glitter sprinkled on it (beautiful death, yeah?) Anyways...here's the shot, I would like to know if I finally got the DOF, lighting, shadows, highlights, and sharpness down. Oh, and WB, I shot it RAW, so it's an easy enough fix.

Rose, Le Quatre:
73jmg0g.jpg

You missed it.

White balance.
Blown-out petals.
Too much stem.
Not sharp enough.
Obvious and overly harsh lighting.

Sorry. Fifth time's a charm?

You missed it.

White balance.
Blown-out petals.
Too much stem.
Not sharp enough.
Obvious and overly harsh lighting.

Sorry. Fifth time's a charm?

Ha, damn. Well, thanks your honesty and laundry list of things to do better next time. How do I get it sharper, I've done extra sharpening and it was shot at f/22?

What's the lens?
Is there a filter on it?
How are you sharpening in PP?

Use a more diffused light, this looks like a flashlight which puts hotspots on the wrong places on the rose.

light the petals, not the stem, not the leaves, and compose with less negative space.

Shine the light through some sort of a screen that's a few times larger than the width of the rose, and burn the stem/leaves.

It looks soft because it doesn't look like you USM'd the resized image.

Use a more diffused light, this looks like a flashlight which puts hotspots on the wrong places on the rose.

light the petals, not the stem, not the leaves, and compose with less negative space.

Shine the light through some sort of a screen that's a few times larger than the width of the rose, and burn the stem/leaves.

It looks soft because it doesn't look like you USM'd the resized image.

I did use a flashlight HAHA. Good call.

I'm gonna definitely try and diffuse next time, it seems to be the consensus that my lighting is too harsh.

I liked your second and third times, but that's just me. I think one of the questions is: Do you like it?

The negative space bothers me, but I understand your wanting to conform to the ROT (Rule of Thirds). Have you thought about placing the flower and leaf diagonally in the frame?

I don't mind the softness. The sharpening in PP has probably rendered it sharper than most digital cameras can capture anyway.

The negative space bothers me, but I understand your wanting to conform to the ROT (Rule of Thirds). Have you thought about placing the flower and leaf diagonally in the frame?

I don't mind the softness. The sharpening in your Post Processing has probably rendered it sharper than most digital cameras can capture anyway.

Most reactions

Back