Round 2 .....too picky

Lost Nikon User

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i went and did some walking around a local pond and took my new toy with me. As the title says, i only walked 100 yards and took damn near 290 pictures, only a few made the cut. Seeing my photography skills are still at the beginner level, this means my editing skills are non-existent. So all these pictures are straight from the camera to y'all Enjoy.

The photos were taken in Manual mode, all i messed with was F.Stop and Shutter Speed. No iso adjustmen. It was set to 100
DSC_1321-001.jpg
DSC_1338.jpg
DSC_1341.jpg
DSC_1352.jpg
View attachment 94175

Last edited:
Far too many images for which to provide detailed critique, however in general focus and exposure look pretty good.

think more shoot less!

and keep shooting/experimenting :)

I can honestly say i was just trying ot figure out f.stop and shutter speeds this day. You are right though

of course , you need to experiment, shoot , look, observe... but 290 of the shutter pressing doesn't give you enough time to really think about what settings do to the picture...

anyway, jmho

I can honestly say i was just trying ot figure out f.stop and shutter speeds this day. You are right though

of course , you need to experiment, shoot , look, observe... but 290 of the shutter pressing doesn't give you enough time to really think about what settings do to the picture...

anyway, jmho

I forgot to mention i walked that 100 yards fro 3 and half hours

When you take pictures try not to think what you think looks cool.
Try to think what the photograph conveys to someone else that looks cool.

And since you are just learning, I can tell that low apertures right now is something you are experimenting with. many here have "been there, done that" so it's just fodder on the screen.

For instance, your first photo of the tree. What's the subject? The tree is in focus but it's just bark and a small knot. If there was a bird peeking around the tree then it would have been interesting to alot of people. But from what I see, it's just a study in aperture control and manual mode.

But keep shooting.

When you take pictures try not to think what you think looks cool.
Try to think what the photograph conveys to someone else that looks cool.

And since you are just learning, I can tell that low apertures right now is something you are experimenting with. many here have "been there, done that" so it's just fodder on the screen.

For instance, your first photo of the tree. What's the subject? The tree is in focus but it's just bark and a small knot. If there was a bird peeking around the tree then it would have been interesting to alot of people. But from what I see, it's just a study in aperture control and manual mode.

But keep shooting.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head!!! Thank you

Ill feel like dori the finding nemo. JUST KEEP SHOOTING JUST KEEP SHOOTING

Just don't start taking pictures of babies at f/1.8 and wonder why they're not in focus.
Shoot people at f/5.6
and use aperture control for fun and for subject isolation as a general rule. You've seemed to have gotten that down.

Just don't start taking pictures of babies at f/1.8 and wonder why they're not in focus.
Shoot people at f/5.6
and use aperture control for fun and for subject isolation as a general rule. You've seemed to have gotten that down.

Thank you, once i put the 55 to 200 on i stared messing with more the higher f/.

Welcome! im a noob also. i like the 4th one. Here is my attempt at that shot from last year.
P1010804.JPG

My advice to people just starting out with photography is to have fun. Get comfortable with the gear, learn the controls, pick up the basics. Don't stress about composition, making "great" images, or similar stuff because at the beginning, you don't yet have a framework of how everything fits together. However, to make progress in any learning task, it's easier to pick one area (say getting the exposure right), and work on that until you've got a decent sense of how aperture/shutter speed/ISO work together. Then you could explore depth-of-field and aperture. Then perhaps using shutter speed creatively to either freeze or emphasize motion. At a certain point, you'll find that you're getting pretty decent images (in the technical term), and it's now time to give them some meaning by focusing on subject matter, context, composition, and so on.

The problem with critiquing images when you're really early into the learning cycle, is that often the suggestions we can make to you require that you know why those suggestions will work better than whatever you've been trying. If you don't have a mental structure of how things fit together, the advice may not mean much.

In that context, if you are doing stuff and certain things aren't "gelling" then putting up a photo or two and explaining what you were trying to do is a great way to get good feedback to help you past whatever hurdle you're stuck on.

My advice to people just starting out with photography is to have fun. Get comfortable with the gear, learn the controls, pick up the basics. Don't stress about composition, making "great" images, or similar stuff because at the beginning, you don't yet have a framework of how everything fits together. However, to make progress in any learning task, it's easier to pick one area (say getting the exposure right), and work on that until you've got a decent sense of how aperture/shutter speed/ISO work together. Then you could explore depth-of-field and aperture. Then perhaps using shutter speed creatively to either freeze or emphasize motion. At a certain point, you'll find that you're getting pretty decent images (in the technical term), and it's now time to give them some meaning by focusing on subject matter, context, composition, and so on.

The problem with critiquing images when you're really early into the learning cycle, is that often the suggestions we can make to you require that you know why those suggestions will work better than whatever you've been trying. If you don't have a mental structure of how things fit together, the advice may not mean much.

In that context, if you are doing stuff and certain things aren't "gelling" then putting up a photo or two and explaining what you were trying to do is a great way to get good feedback to help you past whatever hurdle you're stuck on.

I will always have fun taking pictures, its something ive always enjoyed doing. Just recently i have got a bit more serious about it all. In the couple weeks ive had my camera, ive learned so much and plan on learning more. I am a programmer at work and when i first started out programming, it was difficult. VERY DIFFICULT, but i didnt give up because i couldnt get the machine to operate the way i wanted it to. I sucked it up and moved on, figured out how and why it wasnt working, fixed my problem and off i went. Now i can get this touch probe machine to do what ever i want and measure to the .002 MICRON. A human hair is .075 micron, just to give you an image. Im excited and i shoot everyday of something. Everyday Im punching that shutter button. I will become better, i will become great. I will stay confident in my ability to make people go WOW when they look at my work!

Most reactions

Back