Royal Gramma (fish)

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
Just got this guy about a week ago. He hid for a few days, but now is settling into the tank and is starting to come out and about a bit more. :)

This was shot with my Canon 300D and Speedlite 550EX flash. No color alteration--he really is that bright! :D

IMG_7041_edited_RS.jpg

How are you using the flash? Do you get relaxation? That is high power flashes are you adjusting the power settings?

They really are a beautiful fish and that's an incredible shot!
Once I get my own place again I guess a reef aquarium is on the list.
I remember those fish having a fluorescent quality about them so I wonder if it might be better using the tank lighting instead of the flash?

Jeff Canes said:
How are you using the flash? Do you get relaxation? That is high power flashes are you adjusting the power settings?

For this shot I had everything on automatic. I let the camera make all the decisions, and it usually comes out pretty well. I still take 30 or 40 shots and am happy to get 2 or 3 good ones. Fish are tough!

mrsid99 said:
They really are a beautiful fish and that's an incredible shot!
Once I get my own place again I guess a reef aquarium is on the list.
I remember those fish having a fluorescent quality about them so I wonder if it might be better using the tank lighting instead of the flash?

I shoot a lot with only tank lighting, but if the fish are deeper in the water column the light fall-off is so great, I have to really boost the ISO in order to shoot at the shutter speeds I need to (usually 1/180s or higher), and I don't like all that extra grain.

I'm really pleased with the speedlite so far, as it gives me a pretty good color representation. The on-board flash is shyte for shooting tank stuff--it makes the colors of the fish look so incredibly fake and flat.

A lot of people put the lens right up to the glass to avoid reflection, but if you use a rubber lens hood, you can at least get some leeway in tilting the camera.

I love the colors of marine fish. They are absolutely amazing.

Good job on the capture!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back