Salable poses for childrens martial arts school

Dmitri

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll be shooting my first martial arts school (childrens classes) and was wondering if anyone had any advice on which poses I should work on getting the kids into for happy parents?

I assume the obligatory ready stance, front kick, front punch. Is that it or am I missing something?

Front kick is going to look a bit awkward, IMO, and the perspective of having the child's foot closer to the camera is going to be an issue.

How about a high side kick instead? The subject will be all in one plane of focus, and if the child can get his foot higher than his head, it will look cool.

Last edited:
Crane stance. Their parents are all old enough to remember Karate Kid.
14_2.jpg

Just out of curiosity what camera and what lenses are you going to use for this ?

Front kick works from profile. Kids can usually kick higher front kick than side. One "kick" that works is simply have them do a straight leg up motion used often for stretching in class. Usually gets the leg up higher than a kick and looks like a high kick in the photo. (Can't tell how the kick gets there in a static photo :) ) Make sure to have an instructor there. They will assist in the posing and correct stances to make sure the form is legit.

Have them run through their katas and shoot as they do each.
The side kick is the classic image...
karate-kick-silhouette-md.png

it would help if we knew which Martial Art you are photographing.
make sure their faces aren't blocked, make sure they don't look awkward or unbalanced

Depending on age but the most important part is that they are recognizable and look happy. Mom and Dad will think the form is great no matter if it is or not.

Thank you all for the suggestions. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back