Sandpit

&Denekamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

finally got my panorama (wideangle, whatever you want to call it :)) and some other pictures back that a took at a sandpit nearby..

I did the best I could at stitching the wideangle together.. and I hope the stitch isn't to visible.

Feel free to comment.

Wideangle (click to enlarge)

TheLake.jpg

another shot (where did that fog come form..?! ;))

House.jpg

Damn.. I wanna live there..!!

Thanks for whatching!

Niels

Hi, Niles.

You've found some interesting areas. Have you tried visiting these spots at different times of the day, like early morning or an hour before sunset? With the sun low in the sky, the angel of light will better show the texture of the trees.

Also, try to compose your images so that the horizon line doesn't cut right across the center. It's always a tough call when you have nice refections like you have in the first two.

Good effort! I look forward to seeing some more.

-Pete

You'll need to give people a little longer than an hour to comment. Plus it's the weekend so less people are on and don't forget that mosts users are over in America so are at least six hours behind you.

So far I've liked all of the photographs that you've posted so I think I'm going to have to keep an eye out for your name now. :mrgreen:

I think you did a very nice job at stitching these together. And they're very nice pics of what looks like a gorgeous place!
The first photo is my favourite, it'd be better if that pole thing on the left weren't there.
Good work!

sorry for my impatience..

Christie Photo, thanks for the advice! I will return there some time, though for this panorama I had to do like a 30 min walk around the whole lake.. the sun was quite low, and I thought the if I photographed straight into the sun I would get a lot of difference in colour between the two photos, thus having a harder time stitching them togeter.

ferny, sorry, I'll give you guys a little longer next time ;) oh, and there are more photo's on the way!

Meysha, it sure is a gorgeous place, though in the summer there are a lot of people there screaming and swimming and stuff..

One fast question, why should the horizon line not cut the photo in half? I kinda like the symmetry it brings to the scene.. but I will keep that rule in the back of my head next time :) thanks

Niels

Generally in photography (although not always) you can stick to a rule of thirds for composition. So One third of the photo is filled with land and the other 2 thirds with the sky - or vice versa and it can also be applied vertically as well. Same goes for whenever you're placing anything not just landscapes. I've found that photos I find pleasing to the eye tend to stick to the rule of thirds. But each to their own.

Thanks for the expenation :thumbup: I like the way that rule sounds :) though rules are made to be broken every now and then arent they..? ;) I'll try to stick to the rules the next time :meh:

ferny said:

Just to get your own postcount higher huh..?! :lmao:

No, thanks :) I still find myself putting the main subject in the middle of the picture.. I'll try to pay some more atention to this rule :)

but, just for the record, this is a better picture this way that it would be if the bussen were in dead centre..?

Busses.jpg

Denekamp, Ohhh don't let Hertz hear you talk about breaking rules in photography. He keeps going on about something about people who say that. Although he's never explained. (btw where is Hertz????)

Ferny, ohh I'm waiting for food too. oops just arrived. Nice links, but in the second one - I disagree with what they say how the second one is more please. I prefer the first one. Meh.

Oops posting at same time.

Exactly! I like it, much nicer like with the buses at the bottom.

I'm not afraid for a little discussion about breaking rules, don't worry..:p

Glad you like it this way, so I applied the rule of thirds on that one before I even knew of its existence..;)

Enjoy your dinner! :p

No, thanks I still find myself putting the main subject in the middle of the picture.. I'll try to pay some more atention to this rule
Denekamp, Ohhh don't let Hertz hear you talk about breaking rules in photography. He keeps going on about something about people who say that. Although he's never explained. (btw where is Hertz????)
There is no such thing as a rule with regards to this. Just guidelines based upon years of other people practising and refining their art. You should learn and understand them first. But once you do you can go off and do what you want. It's much easier to take a better photograph once you understand what, generally, makes and breaks one. And you can't break something you don't understand. If you just follow the "rules" all the time you're doing nothing more that copying out of a book. Use your own brain, express yourself. Not someone else.

but, just for the record, this is a better picture this way that it would be if the bussen were in dead centre..?
Some people would say too sky... it's your photograph.

Nice links, but in the second one - I disagree with what they say how the second one is more please. I prefer the first one. Meh.
Never read them. Just goggled and pasted. I only had two seconds.

ferny said:
And you can't break something you don't understand.

Couldn't agree more! I still have a lot to learn about photography, I have a whole series of books on photography that I'm trying to read and hopefully that'll also learn me some more 'rules' :)

but, just for the sake of getting a discussion going.. has anyone of you tried the technique that I used in #2 before? I focused on the trees in the distance, tilted my cam upward and leant forward myself and I exhaled on my lens. tilted the camera back in its origional position and waited for the haze to clear up just enough and released the shutter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back