Save me from the GAS

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Jonahnieuwe, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Jonahnieuwe

Jonahnieuwe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Darrel,

Any particular reason why? I started looking at canikon too, because of the amazing market of used glass. Here in the Netherlands but probably also in a lot of other countries it isn’t easy to find used fujifilm glass at all, not in stores and not from other people. “Cheap, good, used glass is one major benefit of canikon. I will probably get myself a nice, large backpack for my camera gear so size isn’t really an issue.

2. Jonahnieuwe

Jonahnieuwe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your reply,

I looked at Nikon d750 and D500 too, both also amazing cameras. The D500 is really sport/wildlife oriented and also very good in other things, but I don’t know if I will need the sport capability. Although saying that the xt2 really isn’t a slow camera either :).

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Reasons? Nikon has a HUGE system of manual focus lenses, AF lenses, AF-D lenses, and AF-S lenses. New and used lenses, millions of them. Nikon has superior sensors and file exposure recovery. The D800 is a good camera for night photos...better than any Canon, due to the sensor's capabilities. IMHO, full-frame is better than APS-C in an all-around camera for travel, people,and night photos...the High-ISO capability of the D750 or D600 or D610 or D800 is VERY good. You wanted a camera for a five year time frame, and have a $3,000 total system budget...Nikon has tens of millions (literally) MORE lens choices than Canon on the used market, since there are literally decades' worth of _affordable_Ai and Ai-S and AF and AF-D lenses that WORK on the D800 (not so Canon, which changed lens mounts and left users high and dry in the 1980's). Nikon is a system you could grow with.

4. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The XT2 is a great camera. I have huge hands (10.5") and I use the battery grip. It is wonderful for big paws and also is a must for performance boost, especially action shots. In the next day or two, Fujifilm is coming out with another firmware update that will double the speed of focus acquisition and tracking. It's all ready pretty incredible but soon to be even better. Is it as good as a Nikon D500 for birding? Probably not but it does work well and with practice, will get the job done. Fujifilm glass is second to none in terms of build quality and image rendition. Pick up the glass that will guide you to shoot more of what your interested in. If it's wildlife, the 100-400 with a 1.4tc is the best one for that. Landscapes, probably the 10-24 but I use the 16mm 1.4 which is an incredible lens.

The XT2 is a great all around camera. It does everything well. If all I was doing was sports - action, then I would probably buy a D500, 300mm prime and a 200-500 zoom. If All I was doing was landscape and portraits, I'd buy a Fujifilm GFX50s with a 32-64 and a 120 macro.

There is no perfect camera but the XT2 is a great all around camera and should be able to do everything you want well. Don't forget about adapters, they offer creative flexibility at reasonable cost with legacy glass. I recently picked up a $10 adapter and a Russian 135 2.8 and it's fun to use. Also there is a extension tube MCEX11 that when put on the underrated kit lens (18-55) turns it into a macro. It can also be used on other lenses as well, just depends on what distance you want to be from subject. It works real well on my adapted Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS for close up stuff. I also own a Fujifilm 60mm macro and it is a dandy for stills and portraits even if it's only 1:2 macro.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. Pedro_lopez

Pedro_lopez TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The title says save me from GAS but just reading it makes me feel like I’m getting GAS.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  7. Jonahnieuwe

Jonahnieuwe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry guys that wasn’t my intention at all, maybe by helping me the curse will be broken for us all?

8. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    ... once you get GAS, there is no cure :clap:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Dag nabbit...I just keep buying lenses...and cameras...one every so often...

10. Jonahnieuwe

Jonahnieuwe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So can I also use my parents lenses they used on their Nikon f50? It’s the same mount as the Nikon D800 and D500 have right?

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Most likely the lenses your parents have for the older F50 (European name of the North American N50 film SLR from the early-1990's) would work well on a full-frame camera like the D800. The D500 is a crop-frame d-slr (DX format in Nikon-language), so the lenses would function a bit differently than they would on a D800 full-frame or "FX" camera as Nikon calls their 24x36mm sensor models.

Nikon Lens Compatibility

The F-mount was introduced in 1959; there are some variants in the way the lenses connect to the light metering systems of various Nikon cameras. I am suggesting the used, D800 body because you said a camera that would last you for five years, and which will have the ability to autofocus and flash meter with AF-, and AF-D lenses, dating to the mid-1980's and newer, and which would be a fantastic camera for night-sky and star work,etc..

I'm more concerned with image quality and feature sets, which is why I suggested the D800 and NOT the D500. I'm not that impressed with the D500 as an ALL-around camera for half a decade moving forward. it's an action/speed camera, and I can see the image quality is not quite at the same, extraordinarily high level as the D800 or 810 bodies, with their larger sensors. The D500 is a camera for ACTION shooters, and it it not the same type of camera as the D800.

12. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

what was the question again?
    the thing that keeps me from gear acquisition is the fact that I like expensive watches, knives, food, and travelling too