Save me from the GAS

The XT2 is a great camera. I have huge hands (10.5") and I use the battery grip. It is wonderful for big paws and also is a must for performance boost, especially action shots. In the next day or two, Fujifilm is coming out with another firmware update that will double the speed of focus acquisition and tracking. It's all ready pretty incredible but soon to be even better. Is it as good as a Nikon D500 for birding? Probably not but it does work well and with practice, will get the job done. Fujifilm glass is second to none in terms of build quality and image rendition. Pick up the glass that will guide you to shoot more of what your interested in. If it's wildlife, the 100-400 with a 1.4tc is the best one for that. Landscapes, probably the 10-24 but I use the 16mm 1.4 which is an incredible lens.

The XT2 is a great all around camera. It does everything well. If all I was doing was sports - action, then I would probably buy a D500, 300mm prime and a 200-500 zoom. If All I was doing was landscape and portraits, I'd buy a Fujifilm GFX50s with a 32-64 and a 120 macro.

There is no perfect camera but the XT2 is a great all around camera and should be able to do everything you want well. Don't forget about adapters, they offer creative flexibility at reasonable cost with legacy glass. I recently picked up a $10 adapter and a Russian 135 2.8 and it's fun to use. Also there is a extension tube MCEX11 that when put on the underrated kit lens (18-55) turns it into a macro. It can also be used on other lenses as well, just depends on what distance you want to be from subject. It works real well on my adapted Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS for close up stuff. I also own a Fujifilm 60mm macro and it is a dandy for stills and portraits even if it's only 1:2 macro.

Last edited:
Dag nabbit...I just keep buying lenses...and cameras...one every so often...

So can I also use my parents lenses they used on their Nikon f50? It’s the same mount as the Nikon D800 and D500 have right?

So can I also use my parents lenses they used on their Nikon f50? It’s the same mount as the Nikon D800 and D500 have right?

Most likely the lenses your parents have for the older F50 (European name of the North American N50 film SLR from the early-1990's) would work well on a full-frame camera like the D800. The D500 is a crop-frame d-slr (DX format in Nikon-language), so the lenses would function a bit differently than they would on a D800 full-frame or "FX" camera as Nikon calls their 24x36mm sensor models.

Nikon Lens Compatibility

The F-mount was introduced in 1959; there are some variants in the way the lenses connect to the light metering systems of various Nikon cameras. I am suggesting the used, D800 body because you said a camera that would last you for five years, and which will have the ability to autofocus and flash meter with AF-, and AF-D lenses, dating to the mid-1980's and newer, and which would be a fantastic camera for night-sky and star work,etc..

I'm more concerned with image quality and feature sets, which is why I suggested the D800 and NOT the D500. I'm not that impressed with the D500 as an ALL-around camera for half a decade moving forward. it's an action/speed camera, and I can see the image quality is not quite at the same, extraordinarily high level as the D800 or 810 bodies, with their larger sensors. The D500 is a camera for ACTION shooters, and it it not the same type of camera as the D800.

what was the question again?
the thing that keeps me from gear acquisition is the fact that I like expensive watches, knives, food, and travelling too

the thing that keeps me from gear acquisition is the fact that I like expensive watches, knives, food, and travelling too
The question boils down to this: is the xt2 the right camera and is fujifilm the right system for me?

The question boils down to this: is the xt2 the right camera and is fujifilm the right system for me?

If you like it, go for it.
The only really wrong system is Pentax but only because you’ll be orphaned pretty soon.

I would buy a trip someplace and shoot with what you have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back