SB-800

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Whats a good place to look at to learn how to fully use my SB-800?

Books, websites, etc are good.

Probably start with the manual? I've learned a lot reading the manual for my SB-600's. Prior to reading the manual, I only read stuff from online posts, the strobist website, and other "google" resources.

It was only after I decided to take the time to read the manual fully did I realize how much I was missing.

Last edited:
The Nikon dvd from Joe McNally and...I forget the other guy, really shows how to use all the Nikon strobes. I learned a lot from it, as they go through a great deal. The bonus is you get to see Joe on some shoots with how he goes about developing the scene, building light sources, etc.

Stobist!!

Also, read the manual front-to-back. It's actually not bad.

Additionally - TRY it. Litteraly go "I want to make X look" and see if you can make it happen.

If you don't want to experiment-your-way-to-knowledge, I believe Thom Hogan makes a e-book for it.

The Nikon dvd from Joe McNally and...I forget the other guy, really shows how to use all the Nikon strobes. I learned a lot from it, as they go through a great deal. The bonus is you get to see Joe on some shoots with how he goes about developing the scene, building light sources, etc.

Here is a link to the dvd that he's talking about: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001KJ91V4/giftfella-20]Amazon.com: Nikon School presents A Hands-on Guide to Creative Lighting: Camera & Photo[/ame]

awesome, awesome dvd.

Whats a good place to look at to learn how to fully use my SB-800?

The manual that came with it. If you do not have that, you can download it for free from NikonUSA.com in the support section.

That is the technical end. How to take good shots with off camera flash comes when you read and study and practice all that is on Strobist under Lighting 101 and 102.

Hardly the best recommendation coming here. I am not sure if it still does, but mine came with a little guide on Nikon CLS. It included all the features of the SB-800 complete with settings and examples of what they do. Covered everything from bouncing, to camera settings like flash lock, and even remote triggering.

Did yours come with that booklet?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back