Scanning Film

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have a good write up on scanning film? I seem to have a hard time with getting a good neutral scan. Tends to come out rather blue or with some odd magenta tones. Im using a cheap Canoscan 8000 which could be a part of the problem but most likely user error

The software that drives the scanner is a big issue; basically, film profiles are needed to offset the inherent color tint of the film base...blue and magenta tinting is pretty common in my experience!

Have you tried scanning as your B&W negative film as "color transparency", then inverting the resulting scan? This works well for me, and gives a better scan to work with later in post.

I haven't tried that before but the last time I tried scanning black and white, my scanner wouldn't pick it up as anything there. It seems to only want to work with color which is weird. Might be why it was sold on CL. I don't shoot B&W often so I didn't notice the issue until recently. Im just using the standard canoscan software that came with it. I liked Silverlight a lot when I used it at school

I have started using some minor color correction when scanning (under advanced scan settings). Also, sometimes the scanner doesn't recognize or crop the frame properly and I have to go out of thumbnail view to manually select the frames.

I can't do my own screenshots for you until tomorrow night at the earliest, but here's this that I found: How to scan odd size film in the Canon 8400F scanner.

It's an older version but the controls seem to be about the same. I've started going scanning this way instead of the thumbnail view almost all the time. If the crop is even a little bit too big, for example, it can totally throw off how the scanner is reading white balance, exposure, contrast...

I sold my Canonscan because I couldn't get what I wanted I now have Epson V500 and picked up the great Plustek 7500i for only £12 at our club auction, you could try vuescan thats what I use

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help! If I have some time this evening Ill try digging through the settings and checking out some other programs

Does anyone know if you can use Epsonscan software on the Canon scanner?
That will not work. Priority manufacture software is for just that manufacture.

There is also Silverfast scanning software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back