scenic shots CnC please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by phototechnics, Oct 24, 2008.

1. phototechnics

phototechnics TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ~~first post~~
    Hi! Names Vincent, just got started with a DSLR Nikon D40 with a 18-200mm VR nikkor lens with an SB-600

I guess I want to capture bad @$$ ness in my photos. i saw the weather a few hours ago and raced outside with a tripod and tried to capture it. After taking about 500 photos in 25 mins i came home and was really rather disappointed. Found a few that ended up being mediocre :'(

Any tips and or comments i would LOVE. i was fiddling with aperture size and exposure time to get the best one, ended up going to AUTO EZMODE and let it do the work for me, wasnt too ecstatic. :(
    [​IMG] i tried to capture the sky and the tree lines with the cascading shades of the setting sun
    [​IMG] i attempted to capture the beautiful scenery but it just doesnt seem..like it was an exact replica (how can i make it look even better with settings on the camera / post editing)
    [​IMG] same thing as number 2
    [​IMG] same thing as number 2 and 3
    [​IMG] relatively the same location, the sun was setting behind the trees and i tried to capture the :hail::hail: but it just doesnt seem like i was "there"
    [​IMG] probably my best shot out of all of those in my opinion...

is there anyway to get that shot / be nice along with the cars passing by to blur the headlights? i tried i very very very long open shutter time. increasing decreasing the light / dark thing. and either got super super light white, or a black image. my current understanding is to get lights to blur = long exposure time. but long exposure time = more light goes into the hole. more light into the hole = whiter. therefore make the aperture {SP?} smaller. and if you make the hole smaller = less light = back to square 1

the pictures also seem grainey and all BLAH like. anyway to fix this? i have noise reduction enabled on the cam already.
    (Sorry for being such a noob D= i picked photography up two weeks ago)
    tips and all criticisms! :) be as harsh as possible ^_^

:heart:

2. smithphoto

smithphoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was taking a look at the data on your last image. You were shooting with a f stop of f/5, iso of 400, and a shutter speed of 1/100. That works to expose your image, but it dosn't get you that blured image you are looking for. Try setting the iso to 100 (iso=sensitivity of the 'film'/sesnor to light smaller the number the less sesnsitive= longer exposure time) The f/stop (aperature size smaller=more light larger=less light) to about f/13 and then use a shutter speed of maybe 1/2. Just play around with it. And I didn't go through the process to find out those numbers, they were just abstracted from my head. So they are probably off. Give it a shot and see what you think.

Note: on some of these you would have benifited from a uv/haze filter and in the lighter ones a 'sky' filter would have helped out a lot in my opinion. Key to good photography is to play. So get back out there tonight, set up your tripod, and start turning those dials.

3. phototechnics

phototechnics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    tyvm i used a UV filter from Quantaray? lol i guess its not the same thing V_V but its like this black lens attachment which i use pretty much all the time to protect the lens underneath <--likes to drive and take photos outside of windows and the sunroof>> ill try it though! tyvm!