TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Asking $150.

IMG_0358 (800x533).jpg

Schneider 50mm F 2.8 Componon-S Enlarging Lens

Last edited:
The lens is a Componon not a Componar. Schneider did also make a lens named Componar so the link description is confusing.

Average selling price on ebay for the lens pictured is under $50.00. A Componar would be worth less.

Joe

Thanks! It's Componon. I'm not sure why they put the "N" and the "R" so close on the keyboard ;) How do you find the average selling price on ebay? I looked at what people had for sale and tried to price reasonably. Maybe I need more info.

Thanks! It's Componon. I'm not sure why they put the "N" and the "R" so close on the keyboard ;) How do you find the average selling price on ebay? I looked at what people had for sale and tried to price reasonably. Maybe I need more info.

You must have an ebay account. You can then do an advanced search and search for closed and sold listings. What people ask as selling prices for items is meaningless -- what they actually sold for is all that matters. If an item doesn't sell it was priced too high. The ebay auction model is a good way to find out what something is in fact worth. When it does sell that selling price is the highest price anyone on the planet was willing to pay.

Joe

You must have an ebay account. You can then do an advanced search and search for closed and sold listings. What people ask as selling prices for items is meaningless -- what they actually sold for is all that matters. If an item doesn't sell it was priced too high. The ebay auction model is a good way to find out what something is in fact worth. When it does sell that selling price is the highest price anyone on the planet was willing to pay.

Joe
He can list it for what he wishes. It is NOT your job to advise what to sell it for. Trolling threads and suggesting pricing can hurt the seller. If he wishes to list it at X amount, that is his prerogative and sellers are the ones to do their homework not us. Just saying.

You can price it at whatever you want. Do not listen to guys who troll threads. Hope you get your asking price. The object here is to sell it and if anyone is interested, they may counter your offer. Just like on eBay, we list things high to get a better selling price. Good luck. Sorry to put this guy in his place but his response is very unethical. Who cares what the average price is? Buying on eBay is much different from here. Members generally will have a better rep than someone who you do not know. Price it what you think is fair.

Last edited:
Well, James. As someone who would actually buy this lens, I have to say, I agree completely that he can list it at whatever price he wants.

But if he wants to actually sell it, it's best to list at a price that is in line with the market.

Neither myself nor Joe has **any** (and I repeat ANY) obligation to the OP. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing AT ALL unethical about what was said. I can't even believe that you would have that attitude.

Whether or not buying from the OP is worth the premium is MY decision and my right to evaluate and the way I see it any attempt to hush the discussion of market value is the unethical conversation.

Last edited:
Well, James. As someone who would actually buy this lens, I have to say, I agree completely that he can list it at whatever price he wants.

But if he wants to actually sell it, it's best to list at a price that is in line with the market.

Neither myself nor Joe has **any** (and I repeat ANY) obligation to the OP. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing AT ALL unethical about what was said. I can't even believe that you would have that attitude.

And for what it's worth, yeah, I do trust e-bay more than some random guy on a web forum. Even if that wasn't the case, Joe still has every right to discuss the trending price in a major market - ebay is used literally everywhere as a market indicator for these sorts of items.

Whether or not buying from the OP is worth the premium is MY decision and my right to evaluate and the way I see it any attempt to hush the discussion of market value is the unethical conversation.
Pretty simple, PM him. I ran a computer overclocking forum for a while, and it IS unethical to tell someone the price. We had a major rule NOT to do that in TOS as most forums do. I do have an attitude toward this. As mentioned, it could quite possible kill his settling price. Just like on eBay, some people ask high to get a fair price. If they ask a fair price, then they get offered a low unfair price. I think you can get the mojo on this.

Last edited:
Pretty simple, PM him. I ran a computer overclocking forum for a while, and it IS unethical to tell someone the price. We had a major rule NOT to do that in TOS as most forums do. I do have an attitude toward this. As mentioned, it could quite possible kill his settling price. Just like on eBay, some people ask high to get a fair price. If they ask a fair price, then they get offered a low unfair price. I think you can get the mojo on this.

No. Absolutely 100% not. It's baloney. Joe has zero obligation to protect the OP's "settling price", and has every right in the world to discuss market value. As far as I know, there is no policy like that here, and I would whole-heartidly not support such a chummy policy that is designed to harm buyers and protect sellers.

The OP doesn't have to take any offer, and Joe pointing out the average selling price on ebay is no more unethical than ebay publishing this information.

If anything, your position supports the "buyer beware" attitude that is held by scoundrels. (not that the OP is a scoundrel)

There are enlarging lenses that do sell for this kind of price. The "Makro" version of this lens does - I have no idea what makes it special - and certain nikon lenses also sell high. Enlarging lenses work very well for macro lenses, and typically perform better than most taking lenses at greater extension.

There is a market for them still, even for us spawn of Satan who use digital cameras.

Try throwing one in front of a camera!

4899869344_291eedcceb_b.jpg

Rodagon 50/4 at around f/8-11ish - attached directly to an M42 adapter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back