SDHC card Classes which is good or gooder

jg123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I am close to buying my canon xsi and I am looking at the memory cards, they have an hp 8 gig sdhc class 4 card on sale for $50 but the lady is telling me I should get the panasonic sdhc class 6 card that is $150 - is the difference very big?

Here is some info I found on it:

capable of sustained write speeds of at least 6MB/sec and maximum data speeds of up to 20MB/sec.

I wonder if the write speed of a card will matter in terms of sustained burst shooting?

thanks

Not given the writing speed of the camera will limit even the the $50 card. But it depends how fast you want them back on your computer (assuming you have a memory card reader supporting SDHC)

assuming you have a memory card reader supporting SDHC)

Be careful of this one

And i dont think you should go with the more expensive one, you will probably never notice a difference

i believe the higher classes are 'faster'... but as JimmyO says, you probably won't notice a difference.

and yes, you need to find a compatible card reader

For the price difference, I'd just get the Class 4 card. I mean, at the absolute BEST, you're getting 50% faster speeds for 300% of the cash. And at worst, you're getting nothing for 300% of the money.

What is the advantage over a card reader to just plugging the camera into my usb 2.0 port?

Not that much, really. I use the camera directly all the time, and the speed is fine for me.

Biggest problem is the amount of USB cables I went though. USB type B-Mini are shockingly crap cable connections. The reason why I bought an internal card reader. Sits in the floppy bay and plugs into the motherboard. No cables. No fuss, just eject, stick it in and get downloading.

If you are about to buy several hundred dollars worth of camera I would put the hard on the sales assistant to throw in the card.

dangergoinoff, actually they are throwing in the two cards ($50 one and $150 one) but I am thinking to get the two $50 cards instead and trying for aa $100 worth of other stuff

dangergoinoff, actually they are throwing in the two cards ($50 one and $150 one) but I am thinking to get the two $50 cards instead and trying for aa $100 worth of other stuff
Oh ok well as long as you know exactly what you want for the $100 then go for it.

Most reactions

Back